Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joeblfsk

Hey Puglvr & Stpete, take a peek...

..at my Glenn mango tree. More pics to follow ( I hope ), Only discovered the new pannicles 5 days ago. Pug, you ever seen this, two fruit flushes on one tree,..at the same time ? Minimalizes all my recent problems in the garden. Am speechless,...feel like a one-eyed-dog in a sausage factory !!! ( smile )

Comments (21)

• jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a )
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A closer look.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Initial fruit that was first spotted in early Dec,..three full months ago !

This post was edited by jofus on Mon, Mar 4, 13 at 14:09

Original Author
    11 years ago

One last look. The tree limbs on this youngish Glenn Mango tree will get a workout in mid June I am thinking, ( smile )

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Wow...lucky you!! I'm SO Jealous,lol...that Glenn is off the charts. I know where to go for some Glenn mangoes this summer :o)

Your tree was what I was hoping mine was going to do this year...unless the second set of blooms that are emerging actually produces I will only have very few this year. I just hope I get several more from my Potted Glenn to help fill in the gaps.

Thanks for the pictures!!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Puglvr : So sorry to hear that your in-the-ground Glenn mango tree is not doing well. I hope as well that this 2nd flush will result in a bumper crop.
    I am learning as each year goes by. I now have four ( 4 ) fairly mature, 10 ft tall, ( the Valencia Pride is 14 ft at least,..what a fast grower !!! ), mango trees. Besides the Glenn, Valencia Pride and NDM, I also have a Kent. The Kent is my favorite mango tree, - IMHO the fruit tastes the best of all I have sampled so far. However, despite the 15 or so delicious, mature mangos it produced last year, there are none on that tree this year. Not a tiny pannicle in sight, anywhere. None !
    However, I am not mad at that tree at all. ( smile ) Despite getting the same sun, same organic fertilizer, same fungus sprays, etc,..it has decided to take a year off and rest. So be it, who am I to suspect a diabolical plot is at work here ? I have heard of mango trees doing this, so will continue to marvel at Mother Nature and her peculliar ways. Will enjoy the other three trees' bounty and look forward to the Kent joining the party next year.
    I am guessing you have experienced a tree with an alternate fruitless year right ?... RIGHT ? ( smile )

• cenflagirl
    11 years ago

Hello, Jofus, how old id your mango tree? Looks great!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Violet : Thanks for the compliment. That Glenn mango tree was bought at Rays Nursery in Homestead, in March 2010. It was a replacement for the one that died 2 mos earlier, my 1st winter hereabouts and clueless about 34 deg + or - overnight lows. It was only about 6 ft tall when planted, as were the other 3. It is now a healthy 10 ft in height, despite a fairly aggressive pruning process it underwent after 1 year in the ground.
    I don't have any space limitations so don't need to keep it at a low height. Expect to do only very minimal pruning in future so expect another 3 or 4 feet of growth.
    Thanks for asking.

This post was edited by jofus on Mon, Mar 4, 13 at 18:50

• stpete_mango
    11 years ago

That's a magnificent Glenn, and looks like a bumper crop of mangoes on the way!
    Lucky you, looks like you have a lot of open space.
    Good luck with the mangoes, and do post periodic progress reports.

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Hi Jofus, I have heard of mango trees having alternate fruiting years...Kent might be one of those varieties. I also love Kent and regret not having one. I tried to pick varieties for their dwarf or semi-dwarf qualities...but if I end up losing one of my trees...I think I will replace it with a Kent...but not anytime soon as I'm not looking forward to adding any more work than I already have,lol...

As you can see in this picture...my Glenn is certainly mature enough to hold a lot more fruits...but so few set this year. I'm hoping for the best on the second set of blooms but not counting on it...

I do have several Cogshall fruits on my 3 trees...also NOT a bumper crop on any of them...but those are also throwing out several more blooms...definitely a very strange year.

My Keitt decided to not bloom this year but instead put out new growths...so maybe Kent and Keitt are alternate bearers or it might just be I trimmed my Keitt very late last year (Nov.) that could be why it didn't bloom? I'm not upset either because the tree could use some filling in...its has a leggy growth characteristic that's why I trim it yearly to keep it short and bushy.

Here's my Glenn taken the3 first week of January...all those blooms and only a few fruits :o(

Like you said no point in second guessing Mother Nature...we won't win,lol...

I'll post a picture of the Glenn later today so you can see a current picture (once it warms up a bit).

Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, that looks like a healthy tree ! Got to believe it'll provide many luscious fruits for you.
    I have that same basic philosopny whenever I start to get carried away with neat sounding additions to my " plantation. " Not getting any younger. Just last week I dug up one of my woeful 3 yr old Tropic Beauty Peach trees and will do the same with the remaining one, once its harvest is over in mid June. Finding the birds and squirrels are impossible to fend off. Replacing both with the Maha Chinook,..so trading two trees for one.
    Now am looking at 6 mango trees ( 2 tiny new ones ), 7 promising banana stalks, one tiny Ruby Red Grapefruit tree, one robust Papaya tree and one 8 ft tall Key Lime tree. Feel that should be enough for one person.
    Am anticipating a day soon, maybe even next year, when I harvest more mangos than I can use, load up all my friends/neighbors, then still have enough to fill a cardboard box out at the road. Then write on it " FREE MANGO's ! " In this part of Florida, that occurance is unknown, just not enough mango trees. Sure in Miami/Dade and Homestead this happens, but not here. More common are " Free Oranges " or " Free Grapefruits ". Will have to get a movie camera to record the resulting stampede. ( smile )

• stpete_mango
    11 years ago

Puglvr, the Glenn looks great and the pannicles even better! Hope you get plenty of mangoes from the tree.
    Jofus, does it get that cold in Englewood? You're way south of St. Petersburg, and close to the gulf; I would have thought you'd be several degrees warmer.
    The coldest it has been in my neighborhood this year is 46. Unless it is the freak effect of being close to Tampa Bay as well as the gulf.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Stpete : I am slightly amazed that your lowest temp this year has only been 46. Just yesterday morning, I awoke at 06:50 AM, and saw 41 degrees on my outside thermometer. This morning it was 44.
    I only moved here from the Upper Keys in Sept 2004, so am not an expert on this areas climate history. But I do know that after moving into my present mobile home, in March 2009, I trekked down to Homestead and bought four of the nicest, healthiest, and robust looking 6 1/2 ft tall mango trees I ever saw, in 18 gal pots yet !. Just wanted the best, pay extra and save two years of waiting for it to grow to 6 1/2 ft,..made sense to me !
    Planted them in mid March 2009, then lo and behold, in Dec 2009 and January 2010 we start getting 34 - 38 deg lows on certain nights ! Still with a Keys Beachbum mentality, I only put a sheet over the NDM. It only took two nights at the above temps and the other 3 were dead as a doornail !
    I had to drive down to Homestead again, ( 3 hrs one way ), and start over. Always thought I was near the northern fringe of growing mango trees successfully. Glad to find out I was wrong. Good luck, Puglvr is a fountain of good info, - you'll do fine I am sure.

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Lol...that picture with all the blooms were from January...only about 3 fruits set from that round of flowers :o(

BTW, Stpete, you are SO lucky with your temps being so low this year...it was 32 degrees when I woke up yesterday! Thank goodness it only lasted about an hour.

Here's the picture I took a little while ago...there are a few more branches trying to push out more blooms. We'll see how it does in a couple of months?

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Thanks Jofus...I'm still learning as I go along. So many nice people have helped me grow these trees...couldn't have done it without all the help from so many great mango/fruit gardeners.

Here's a close up of the latest bloom pannicles taken today...I hope this one doesn't turn out to be duds too,lol...

• stpete_mango
    11 years ago

Hmm, wouldn't be surprised if the water all around lower Pinellas County has a moderating effect. There are many mango trees in my neighborhood, some a robust 20 - 25 feet. Asked some of the folks, and they don't know what variety, say it is "just a mango tree." Most of them seem to be sprouting huge pannicles right now. Noticed a few last year with mangoes on them; this year I'm going to go over and ask for samples!

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

I think you're right about being close to the water in Pinellas county that has a lot to do with you guys almost always staying above freezing when all the other counties near you are on frost/freeze warnings. Having Jene's Tropicals in your area is a good sign, she definitely picked a nice spot for a nice tropical fruit nursery.

• cenflagirl
    11 years ago

WOW Puglvr, nice pics! You should be so proud. Where are you in 9b? On the coast or inland?
    Here in Melbourne, there is a place on the river, that has full grown mango groves. They say once the trees are pretty big, that the cold wont affect them anymore.

How old would you say your tree is now? I'm trying to figure out how long I need to wait from a seed I stared last August.

What is so great about a Glen...don't kow what that means.!!

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Thanks Violet! I planted that tree March 2007, so it was 6 years ago. It was a 7 gallon tree when I bought it. It has been damaged severely at least 3 times during one of our bad freezes. One year being the worst...I lost every single leaf on the tree...lost about half the tree, I thought it died but it came back in late spring!

I love in Highlands county (middle of the state) about 2 hours south of Orlando. I'm not protected at all by any body of water unfortunately.

Glenn is one of my favorite variety of mango...very sweet, creamy and no fiber at all, just delicious.

From what I've read about growing mango from seed...it could take up to 7 years to produce fruit and it might not taste as good as the original fruit the seed came from. Its best to buy a grafted tree which will produce true fruits from the original tree. Also grafted trees could produce fruits a lot quicker...usually 3 years. I'm not a spring chicken any more and didn't want to wait that long to taste my first mango,lol...grafted trees are the fastest way for me and guarantees the fruits will be tasty :o)

I attached a link on Glenn mango tree below...

Here's a picture of one of one of my ripe Glenn from a couple of years ago...

Here is a link that might be useful: Glenn Mango...Pine Island Nursery

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Here's what it looks like sliced open...Yummy!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Violet : Just a bit of advice I learned over the years, There are no mango trees that are inherently immune to cold winter nights,..such as 32 - 34 or below for two hours or more,...WHEN THEY ARE YOUNG ! You might hear some say " Well a Baileys or Vallencia Pride mango tree is more cold tolerant.. " Well that is, putting it mildly,.. B..er, not true.
    What is occurring here is that the Bailey, Valencia Pride and a couple of others, are faster growers. They therefore, will add on additional layers of outer bark as they zoom in height and width, giving them additional thin layers of protection from the cold. But a newly planted 6 ft Valencia Pride tree will freeze and die in an overnight low of 32 degree for 2 hours, the same as a 6 ft tall Glenn, or a 6 ft tall Kent, or Nam Doc Mai.
    My NDM was planted 4 yrs ago at a height of 4 1/2 ft, the other 3 of my larger trees were planted 3 yrs ago at a 6 ft height. The NDM, Glenn and Kent are all now at 10 ft tall while the Valencia Pride is at 14 ft. I can still string the old fashioned C-9 Xmass lights on the 3 smaller trees, but the VP is on it's own. IMHO, it is tall and fat enough now to fend off a, ( very rare ), 32 - 33 deg temp that hangs around for 1 or 2 hours.
    Of course we are talking commonly experienced lows ,..the record book shows that the all time low temp hereabouts was 26 degrees. All bets are off at a temp like that, even for the stalward VP ! lol

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

I agree with Jofus about all young and newly planted mango varieties are the same as far as cold tolerance goes...the more mature and established the tree is the more likely it will survive below 32 degrees...My 5-6 year old trees fared the few hours of 30-31 degrees without any protection (cover or lights) this year since it was only for a couple of hours..yet when they were young I've lost a couple to freeze or had them severely damaged even though they were protected. Its temps below 30 degrees especially when it dips in the 20's for hours on end that really do the major damage even to larger established trees.