Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daviedearest

queen crepe myrtle

Davie Robinson
16 years ago

Hi! can anyone give me info on the queen crepe myrtle? I am in cape coral(zone10) & am interested in a showy pink/purple flowering ornamental........any suggestions?

Comments (12)

• thonotorose
    16 years ago

Love it! But, you should know that it's natural form is a large cascading shrub. If you are looking at it for the "Tree" form, get ready for a lot of work.

But you will have plenty of suckers to root.

• Davie Robinson
    Original Author
    16 years ago

have you had any experience with the queen as opposed to just a reg. tree? I certainly don't want any more worj then necessary

• stuartdave
    16 years ago

Have one 10 yrs old , about 15 feet tall and 9" diameter trunk that has been flowering for years. In May i get profuse flowering and it is beautiful. Sporadic flowering continues til August when I get a second flowering that is not anything like Mays. It is deciduous and is loosing the remaining leaves now. I have been unable to find information about pruning and fertilizing that might make the bloom better . If you do, please let me know. There are larger trees in Stuart that are over 30 feet high and when in bloom are spectacular, unfortunately the bloom lasts only a couple weeks.

• thonotorose
    16 years ago

Sorry, Didn't mean sucker. I meant that it will develop multi-trunks and if you want a single trunk tree form, these lower sprouts must be removed while the tree is still young.

Thanks for the pics. Never saw them so large in the Tampa Bay area.

• Davie Robinson
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks all for your help. barb, can you tell me if you planted yours, approx. how long ago & how large it was at the time. I've found one about 4 to 4 1/2 ft & of course its missing its leaves so looking pretty spindely at best.I have no idea what rate of growth to expect & how at what stage they begin to flower. Patience isn't one of my best virtues, so naturally I want it beautiful NOW! might you know of any growers locally thaty might have any of good size? I may have to hit the yellow pages tomarrow.............

• barbcoleus
    16 years ago

I think I put it in quite a while ago. I know I wouldn't have bought a big tree because I'm cheap. It's been flowering for several years. Sorry I'm of no help at all.

• evak
    15 years ago

I have heard that cutting off the berries/spent blooms will cause crepe myrtle to bloom again. Is this true? Do I trim off just the very tips with the seed clusters, or cut further back on the branch, taking a few leaves?

• tropicalfreak
    15 years ago

Are they easy to grow from seed?Tropicalfreak

• katkin_gw
    15 years ago

Cliff, I found a seedling from under a friend's tree and have been growing it. It is close to 3ft tall now and seems to be doing fine. ;o)

• susieq07
    15 years ago

I'm in Charlotte County here's mine taken a month ago not quite in full bloom: the small one in middle of two fences is pink & white on same plant, ppl. have told me it would go all pink, but has not for years now..

Here is a link that might be useful:

• rojanhee_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

it is march 14 2011...our queen is dropping it's leaves, had several cold fronts, we arn't seeing any buds on the North side.it's about 20 ft high.thick truck, very full but the north half is just sticks......to soon to tell or do you have suggestions. Thanks Rp