Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hester: Where did you get your COT?

Posted by love_the_yard z9A Jax FL (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 23, 12 at 14:20

Hester,

In a previous post (linked below), you mentioned that you have the MB>Thai variety of Crown of Thorns (Euphorbia milii). Are you talking about the cool, colorful fairly-new hybrids? I've seen photos and they are beautiful! Where did you get them?

Please post a picture whenever you have some time!

Thanks!
Carol in Jax

Here is a link that might be useful: What is the Most Under-Rated Plant in your Garden?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hester: Where did you get your COT?

Hester - please ignore the "MB" above. I was trying to get cute with bolding and instead, made a typo. :(

Carol

o

I saw some (new cool colorful hybrids) at Lucas nursery last fall. I was sorely tempted but I don't really know much about their growing conditions.

o

Hi Carol,
I do have a bunch of Thai COT and am posting a couple of old pics. I got these from a vendor at the Tropiflora sale. I can't remember the name, but I know they will be there next weekend, so I'll get it for you. I'm sure local nurseries have them (not the box stores) as they are becoming very popular.
I had trouble with them last summer, but this winter they started blooming like mad. I've cut some back and am trying cuttings but they take a long time to root and bloom.
I like them a lot as they provide a lot of color.I have some in pots and some in the ground.
So.here are some pics
peach thai crown onf thorns
rose crown of thorns

Photobucket

Photobucket

Hester

o

Hester,

Thanks for posting those pictures. That sure didn't take you very long! :) Your COTS are so pretty. I have a large red and medium-sized, medium dark pink - the flowers look almost pinkish-red. They both came from Home Depot. Nothing as glamorous or garden bling as yours. (Like that term, "garden bling", do you?)

I've read about the hybrids being a little more fussy and difficult - and also requiring more water and being harder to root.

It is very kind and most generous of you to offer to pick some up for me at the Tropiflora sale, but don't do that. It will be about the same cost for me to mail order and then it won't use up your time and effort to buy, package and ship. And much more importantly, I know that your hands will be full of your own purchases at Tropiflora and I don't want you burdened down shlepping around extra stuff for me. (Not that you shlep!) I found some nice-looking ones online at Bob Smoley's Gardenworld (link below). I am looking at 'Tickled Pink', 'Pretty in Pink', 'Appleblossom', 'Festival' and 'Tuti-Fruity'. Do you have any of those?

Thanks and hugs!
Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Bob Smoley's Gardenworld - EUPHORBIAS

o

Dianne - I meant to reply to you, too. Thank you for the pointer toward Lucas. Didn't find them on the internet, but did find Bob Smoley's (link above). Maybe we'll both get some hybrid COTs this year. :)

Carol in Jacksonville

o

Hi Carol,
Today at Tropiflora the vendor was there with the thai COT.They are colorfield farms in Wimauma so too far away for you but they are online.
The sale was not as good as years past, unfortunately, but I did come home with a new cane begonia - dark leaves with light pink flowers. I'll post a pic tomorrow.
Hester

o

Hester, I couldn't find where Colorfield Farms has online purchasing - do they ship?

o

Kay, I looked, too! I could find where they sold mangoes, but no other plants. Let me know if you find out.

Carol in Jax

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here