Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Inside seedlings

Posted by camille_jjj FL zone 9B (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 14:30

I made a mistake. I threw a few seeds in a (biodegradable carton type) small container thinking, as I've done before, I would kill them. BUT to my surprise, my little seedlings are flourishing. YAY! Anyway, I have many lettuce seedlings and I will need to transplant them to a very large container soon and wanted to know if there were suggestions on how to do that with minimal disturbance to the roots. The container will only have the lettuce and its just one kind of lettuce. Help... Rear and middle cups 2nd from right.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Inside seedlings

You put all the seeds in one cup? I'm having a hard time grasping what you did (still haven't had my coffee).

If you did indeed put them all in one container, I can tell you what I did for my Beautyberry sprouts (I had about 60+ in one 4" pot). I found a shady spot to sit, dumped the entire contents of the pot into a bowl and gently separated the sprouts. I then put the sprouts into dixie cups (2-3 sprouts per cup) and filled the bottom half with soil and the top half with peat and then added a little water. When all was said and done, I had 20 dixie cups inside a cake box (my wife is a baker and gets these awesome flat-like cake boxes from work... with cakes usually). I have them sitting in my lanai now, so that they're fairly protected from the sun and so far they're doing quite well (it's only been three days). After I'm sure they've take the transplanting successfully, I will thin out each dixie cup to 1 sprout per cup (and might try saving the others in their own cups).

o

IMPE, lettuce seedlings can withstand a lot of handling, as long as you are gentle. I sow seeds in small flats (mushroom & berry boxes) & use a sharp knife to cut around & gently lift & transplant them when the 2nd set of leaves are approx. 1 inch(or a bit more) long.

I always water them before & afterwards w/ seaweed extract or compost tea, which seems to help.

o

My experience is like Carol's - lettuce tolerates transplanting and handling pretty well.

If the seedlings are really close together (roots tangled badly) you probably need to do something like Leekle suggested. If there is space between the seedlings, Carol's knife method works great, though I usually use a duller knife or even a plastic plant label as a combination wedge and dibble to get them out.

As long as you don't rip most of the roots off, or leave the roots exposed to air for too long, they'll be fine.

o

thank you everyone for your suggestions. I will be transplanting them this weekend ever so carefully. thanks again. Glad I found this gardening forum!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here