Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lobster Claw Heliconia

Posted by theoj Z9 FL (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 15:37

My Lobster Claw did not bloom the last two summers, I assume the cold of previous winters caused this as I have had blooms for several prior years. They did however multiply abundantly so the cold did not kill them. Since this winter has been mild, I wonder if they will bloom. I can't remember if they bloomed on new shoots. The old ones have dried leaves and look pretty bad. Don't know if I should cut these down and wait for new plants or vigorously trim. Does anyone remember what summer month they bloom. I've had Lobster Claws several years. The last two summers was the first time they did not bloom. Help, Someone!
theo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lobster Claw Heliconia

Mine bloomed the second year and not since then. They grow and multiply like crazy. I plan to get rid of most of them.

o

The Lobster Claw blooms on the previous years growth, so don't cut the old stalks off no matter how bad they look, unless you are sure they are dead. Mine starts blooming in June.

o

• Posted by annafl z9b/10a Sarasota (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 21, 12 at 8:35

I think mine blooms late summer as I am further north than regine. As she said, they bloom on second year stalks, so leave enough of them to make you happy. Same problem with brown here. All I've done is trim back the leaves with the worst brown, or pieces of leaves. Also, week or falling over stalks. New growth is coming already so it will dilute the brown soon when the new leaves come. Yes, it really expands a lot when it is happy.

Anna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here