Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It's leeking!

Posted by inulover 9A Inverness (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 15:41

I just pulled some of my first ever leeks. They are on their way to the soup kettle.

Larry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It's leeking!

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 16:58

Hi Larry

Those are some great looking leeks! How did you do that? Leek and potato soup is one of my favorites.

Silvia

o

Yeah, I'm impressed. Leeks tend to thrive in cold climates.

o

Nice job Larry, I also enjoy growing leeks for my soups.

Lou

o

Thanks Lou.

Silvia, I started them last fall at the same time I put in the garlic. They were transplanted into 5 gallon buckets of your potting mix. I put them near the bottom and added more mix as they grew to blanch the stems. I did pots in lieu of a trench in the ground because trenches in this sand tend to collapse quickly.

Unlike most of the other vegetables I've tried to grow, the rodents don't seem to like the alliums.

Larry

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 6:05

Larry, that is a good idea! I will try that the next cold season. Your garlic is doing well, I hope to see some bulbs, maybe.:)

Silvia

o

The garlic is looking different this year. Last year the plants looked like any onion would and ended up being single cloves. This year most of the plants have bunches of chive size leaf bundles inside the main sheath. I'm don't know whats going on under ground, but something is different, hopefully heads.

Larry

o

I suggest you cut those roots and about 1/4 inch of white and replant. A new plant will frequently form as an offshoot.

In doing that, I've had leeks summer over small and take off again in fall. They have also bloomed and set seeds. These were from the store.

o
re-leeking!

Should of added...

Those are beauties!

o

Thonotorose,
You can also cut and replant the base that same way with store celery, onions, carrots, and a couple of other plants I just can't recall right now.

Lou

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here