Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

DIY 20 minutes trellis

Imagardener2 (Denise) started a great thread on rebar trellises back in 2009. I have it bookmarked and replied to it earlier today. I just realized that the thread doesn't appear on the forum. (Maybe it is in archives?) Here is a link to the thread and my latest question at the bottom, which, interestingly, did post!

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY 20 minutes trellis

Comments (14)

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Two other posts about making trellises with rebar:

Rebar Pyramids

Rebar Arbors/Tripods

Carol

• tomncath
    12 years ago

Carol, while you can see the older posts (over a year old), if you've clipped them or Googled them in a search, you may/may-not be able to respond but it will NOT pull the post back into the current stream....GW, the good, the bad and the ugly :-(

Original Author
    12 years ago

Tom, thanks. You are right - they don't come back into the current stream.

Can anyone tell me how to cut conduit? By hand? What kind of saw or blade? I don't know anything about cutting metal.

Thanks,
    Carol

• joeworm
    12 years ago

you need a hack saw. you can get a cheap one from any hardware/box store. get a blade made for cutting metal, a fine tooth blade will be better. ask someone at the store, it'll be a crap shot but they might know something and be able to actually help you.

if you want an electric saw get an inexpensive jig/sabre saw. buy the appropriate blades and you'll be good to go.

• thonotorose
    12 years ago

Conduit cuts easily. I use a coping saw with a 1/8 inch blade. A jig saw works very well, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: saw pics

• natives_and_veggies
    12 years ago

Do be careful what you ask hardware store guys. I once went to ACE looking for a hammer.
    The ACE guy is always trying to help so he asked me what kind of hammer.
    me: One with a yellow handle
    Ace guy: (patient voice) well, what do you want to use the hammer for?
    me: (equally patient voice) to bang on things
    Ace guy: (patient voice) well, there are different kinds of hammers like...
    me: (impatient voice interrupts) Yes, I know there are different kinds of hammers. I need a hammer with a yellow handle because I keep losing the brown-handled hammer in the yard and sooner or later my husband is going to run over it with the mower and it's going to come flying onto the deck and kill me and he's going be charged with murder for bashing my head in with a hammer. So I need that yellow-handled hammer hanging right there.

Ace hardware guys get really quiet when you mix murder and a hammer.

• cocoabeachlorax
    12 years ago

natives and veggies, that was just awesome.

• thonotorose
    12 years ago

LOVE IT!! n & v's...

I've had to tell Ace guys twice that I am a master craftsman and I know what I am doing.

Veronica

• L_in_FL
    12 years ago

LOL!

But seriously, I'd much rather deal with the hardware store employees who *try* to help than the ones you seem to hide from customers, the ones who act like you're wasting their time, the truly clueless ones, or the ones who are downright surly. It's much easier to tell the helpful ones that you already know what you need than it is to get help from (or even FIND) some stores' employees.

• saldut
    12 years ago

When I was in HD the other day I got 2 20 ft. lengths of the thinner rebar for $4.88 each, they bend easier and I'll put some pieces of irrigation line (white plastic) in the hole first and then stick the ends of the rebar down into the white irrigation lines, and voila! instant trellis!! for my roses to climb up.... and I got all the ideas right here from you guys....thanks. sally

• ritaweeda
    12 years ago

The Lowes near me - man - (I'm a female by the way), as soon as one of those guys turn down an aisle and see a woman looking around like she doesn't have a clue, they suddenly turn around and run away. Then I'm sure they get on a walkie-talkie and warn the others about it, 'cause there won't be another employee in sight for the rest of the shopping trip. The only exception is the Plant Lady in the garden section, but she is so helpful that she is always surrounded by 5 or 6 people who know she can help them. From what I hear, even if you do snatch one inside, they don't know the answers to anything, anyway.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Sally - awesome! Would love to see photos! I bet your roses will be gorgeous. Which climbers will go on the trellis?

Denise - saw your follow up on the old thread - thank you! Would love to see more photos of yours "in use" with the plants running all over it. It is such a cool, easy idea.

I'm going to get to this project this year but still haven't figured out exactly where the trellis goes in relation to the plant(s). I'm guessing it depends upon the plant. For something with tendrils, it is probably best to have it in the middle. But for a plant that will have to be trained/tied, should it be right next to (or outside?) of one of the four posts? Thoughts please!

Carol in Jax

• imagardener2
    12 years ago

Carol

Passionflower and other vines probably don't care where the trellis is located, they will find it.

Over on the Heirloom rose forum the experts suggest locating a climbing rose on the outside of any support but with this type of support I don't think it matters as much.

Denise

PS I don't have any "new" photos since the climbing rose I put on a tall trellis decided I'd moved it too many times and is sulking. And another rose Maman Cochet ignored the trellis and turned into a small tree, self supporting, so I moved the trellis away (while I could still get to it, ouch that rose is wicked thorny).

Original Author
    11 years ago

Has anyone done this yet? If so, please post photos!

I got my conduit cut yesterday. So I'm slowly making progress. Still have to buy the rebar, bend and shape it, put it in place, and tie up vines.

Carol