Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How frequently can you use Epsom Salt?

Posted by love_the_yard z9A Jax FL (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 17, 12 at 15:57

A few weeks ago, I watered almost everything I have with diluted epsom salts. I know the standard rate for most plants is 1 Tbsp of Epsom salt per gallon but I like to apply everything weakly (not weekly, weakly) so that I can use I can apply it more often. (I do the same with water soluble fertilizer. Use it at half rate so that I can apply more frequently and don't risk burning roots.)

So here's the question: how frequently can you apply diluted epsom? Can you use a weak mixture every week? Every two weeks? Once a month?

Thanks,
Carol in Jax

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How frequently can you use Epsom Salt?

Meant to say.... so I applied it at rate of 1 Tbsp in 2 gallons of water. My watering can holds 2 gallons. And the results were great! Plants look fantastic and things that looked dead are coming back from the roots. So of course, I would like to know when I can do it again.

o

I have never heard of this. What do the Epsom salts do for plants? Trace minerals?

o

I used EpsomSalt solution on my Eggplants last year and they went crazy with blossoms.

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 18, 12 at 11:11

They used to say to treat palms with it to stop the yellowing. :o)

o

Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate. People in the Rose, Brugmansia and Plumeria Forums use it regularly but what I've read, almost all plants can benefit from it.

What I can't find - and I've researched it - is how frequently it can be applied. I have a feeling the answer is going to boil down to analyzing my soil - more complicated than I want. I want someone to just tell me "twice a month" or whatever. :)

Carol

o

I have a bag I bought last year and I checked the instructions on it. It calls for different amounts and frequencies for different plants and it calls for applying it dry and then watering it in.

You can find the exact same instructions as those on my bag by clicking on the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Epsom instructions

o

Hi Sumala,

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it. I'm pretty familiar with how much to apply for different plants - and the rate I'm using it pretty much matches up with the instructions because I only water each plant the extent that it needs. I never give any plant the whole two gallons! LOL!

Didn't see anything in there about how often it can be applied - and that's really what I'm looking for.

o
i was wrong!

OH my goodness - you are right - the frequencies ARE there! I missed it! Mea culpa and my apologies! I should have checked again before posting. Thank you so much Sumala.

Carol

o

My pleasure. Glad I could be of some small help.

o

Hmm...right now everything in my garden is doing well from the massive amounts of manure mixed in with the soil this year (thanks bamboorabbit for those rabbits - they produce great fertilizer!). So should I add epsom salts anyway, or only if I see yellowing or other issues?

o

There are some long discussions about the pros/cons of Epsom Salt in several different GardenWeb forums. They are listed in the "Epsom" search linked below. Lots of interesting reading!

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Search for

o

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here