Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will celery grow here?

Posted by zackey GA 8b (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 15:58

Will celery grow here? Mr friend just bought some at Ace.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will celery grow here?

Yes, I grow it as a cool weather veggie here - & I found an Asian celery that's done very well (Nan Ling). Celery has been a commercial crop in FL, I understand.

Regular celery (Utah, etc.) takes a long time & needs lots of water or it gets too bitter & tough.

o

I found it last night in my Organic Gardening in Florida book. It is from the University of Florida. It said to put the plants in the ground from Jan to March. It would seem like a cool weather crop to me. I wish Ace would know what they are doing. They do pretty good for a big box store, but they still get plants in out of season or zone. I'll try and grow it next fall. Thanks for the info!!

o

zac - I grow Asian celery year round in pots. I give it some afternoon sun, especially in the summer. The soil needs to stay moist, other than that it is very care free. I bought my original seeds on ebay.

o

That sounds good to me. I'll have to find some seeds. Does it taste like regular celery?

o

I met someone the other day who recently bought ten acres of drained muck land near Osteen. He said it had been used to grow celery before he bought it.

o

Pinetree has Nan Ling - & IMO, it has excellent flavor - thin stalks & light green leaves that are milder than regular celery. Not so crunchy, but it also seeds successfully, so you only need buy it once.
I use whole stalks (leaves & all) finely chopped, in salads & it is awesome added to stir fries, soups, stews, etc.

Mine is also in a container - flowering & setting seed right now.

Here is a link that might be useful: celery @ Pinetree

o

Zackary...

If you buy a head of celery, and cut off the stalks (to eat them of course)
Then plant the base! Place it in a sunny window.. or maybe outside as happy_fl_gardener mentioned

New celery stalks will grow from it! They won't be as big/thick but work great in some recipes.

Here's a good site detailing it:

Here is a link that might be useful: Regrowing celery

This post was edited by TampaBull on Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 21:08

o

My friend is doing that now. I'll have to try that next fall. Thanks!!

o

Zac - In reference to TampaBull's comment, yes, this is also a way to grow celery. And,you don't need to wait until fall in my area. My daughter has be growing celery from the store bought variety. She plants just the base with around 2 inches of stalk on it. The center will begin to grow and form a new plant. I'm just giving it a try now but my daughter has a few plants that are quite large and are at least a year old. Our plants are outside with afternoon shade. Just like Carol, my Asian variety reseeds.

Christine

o

For those who regrow it, what do you use for a potting medium when it's ready to plant?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here