Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goms_gw

First garden in patio

goms
10 years ago

I am new to gardening though I did a bit with my grandmother when I was a kid. Now I am interested in container gardening in my patio which gets real hot in summer but no direct sunlight. I live in Gainesville, Florida (Zone8). I wish to grow cilantro, mint and curry leaves. Can they be grown in containers in my patio? What type of soil/potting mix should I use? I have a community garden space in my apartment and I can get compost from there. I also would like to grow holy basil in a pot. Can someone help me out? Thank you.

Comments (6)

• derbyka
    10 years ago

I have the same situation as you. I get only about 2 hours of direct sun but a lot of heat in the summer. Unfortunately, through trial and error the past 6 years, I have learned that a lot of things just won't grow in those conditions. Cilantro doesn't like heat period and won't grow in the summer hear. Culantro might be an option instead as it is more heat tolerant and shade tolerant. Mint does not do well as it likes at least some light and doesn't like the very high temps. You might try it in the cooler months. Cat litter pails make very good, light pots with handles. Before I had plots in a community garden, I would plant in these and carry them out everyday to a place with more light right outside the yard. Compost + perlite + pine fines + a little bit of lime makes a good basic potting soil.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    10 years ago

Herbs definitely need more sun than described above - otherwise, they can easily be grown in containers w/ regular potting mix.

• goms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you derbyka. carolb_w_fl, the summers tend to hover near 100F. Can I use the community plot for plantng the herbs instead of my patio which gets hot and has enough light but no direct sunlight? The plot is open and receives 100% sunlight. Will I be able to maintain them in such a hot weather or should I take the containers out a few hours a day as derbyka suggested? We also receive a lot of rain all through the year especially summer. I am planning to use waterproof rice bags as I have plenty of them lying around.

• Rhonda
    10 years ago

Goms,
    You might want to post your questions on the herbs forum as well.

I don't live in Gainesville but work there for the City. I know that with all the trees (Tree City, USA) direct sun for 6 or more hours a day is hard to come by in the downtown area. I think you can grow herbs in the community gardens. Below is a link to the City sponsored community gardens.

Good luck,
    Rhonda

Here is a link that might be useful: Community gardens in Gainesville

• derbyka
    10 years ago

The mint might get by over the summer out in the sun. If you plant it now and keep it struggling along, it will spread and come back even better when the weather gets cooler. It spreads like crazy so what I did in my community garden bed is bury a plastic window box in the bed and plant the mint in that to keep it under control. It is in the front left in the picture. The big plants around it give it a little bit of shade but are behind it for most of the day. Our mix for the beds is largly pine fines and light/well drained so I just used that in the pot. If your soil is heaver or sandier, I would make or buy some potting soil to use. If you are planting from transplant, you might get cilantro before it is super hot. Otherwise, if you are planting from seed, I would wait until the fall to plant that.

• goms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I put a few mint stems in a glass of water. They are store-bought for cooking. I used up the leaves before I put them in. There were tiny new leaves which seem to have grown up a bit since I put them in. New leaves are also seen. No roots yet. But the last time I planted it in a pot and everything just died. These seem to be thriving in the light and heat in my patio. If I am successful with this I will go ahead and sow the cilantro seeds.

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company