Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mboston_gw

Empire Zoysia grass

mboston_gw
15 years ago

We have neighbors around us who do nothing to their yards and they are so dry now that even the weeds won't grow so they move to our yard! We need some grassy area for our dogs to roam around on and were thinking about the zoysia. This particular kind, Empire is what I have read is recommended for this area. Does anyone know where you can get plugs of it?

Comments (7)

• susieq07
    15 years ago

Home Depot has the sq's of sod, however you could cut it up if you like..

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

If you listen to Tom McCubbin on Saturdays Better Lawns and Gardens he PLUGS this item
    (pun intended LOL)
    or
    www.betterlawnsandgardens.net

• mboston_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Where can you get it besides Home Depot. We have not seen it at our store.

• susieq07
    15 years ago

So sorry correction it is Lowes that carries Zoysia sod hubby just went in for some, but they did not get they're usual Friday shipment...

• zoysia09
    14 years ago

I have had empire in my yard for close to a year and a half now and can offer some advise. I have both sodded areas and plugged areas due to cost. The sodded area is my front yard. I chose this route for appearance and it was the right call. The plugged areas are the bare spots in my back yard where the St Augustine has died. Just be aware that empire is a slow grower.
    I have two seperate areas where I have plugged over a year ago and they are not completely filled in. All these plugs are also spaced less than a foot apart. Dollar for dollar it is cheaper to get a pallet. If you are ok looking at bare or patchy spots for the next year or two plugs will do the job.
    If you buy plugs save the trays when you are done plugging and buy a peice of sod. Cut it up into small bits and plant them in the trays. Then you have new plugs to use in the future. Also for free plugs any clippings from when you edge will grow into a full plug over a few months.
    I hope the info helps.

• gatormomx2
    14 years ago

From U of F :
    " Zoysiagrasses generally have good shade tolerance. They handle traffic well and are adapted to a wide range of soil types. Many of the zoysiagrass cultivars have excellent cold tolerance and are often used in northern climates. Generally speaking, however, zoysiagrasses are slow-growing, making establishment difficult, especially when planting by plugs. Some zoysiagrasses are also susceptible to nematodes, which are very difficult to manage in the home lawn. Zoysiagrass is also susceptible to brown patch disease and their main insect pests are the hunting billbug and mole cricket.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lawn Grasses for Florida

• Roger2012
    11 years ago

Help Please!!! I have had Zoysia for 2 summers now and I mow it with a power reel mower. My problem is when I mow, it tear's or rips the grass causing it to look pail yellow/white like it has frost on it. I had this problem last year and thought it was the blades were just dull. Well, I bought a new mower at first of this summer and it looked great for a while and then it all started again. I took and had the reel sharpened, but no matter what the problem continues. My hope is someone somewhere has found the secret to solving this. Am I letting it get too tall, cutting too short, PLEASE Help.....