Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bugs or something eating green pepper leaves

Posted by Gator99 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 17:08

Hi,

I just planted a few green bell pepper plants in containers. They seem to be growing well but something has been chewing on the leaves (same with a nearby basil plant). I thought perhaps it might be a caterpillar, but I never caught or saw one. Also, today I noticed some very small bugs (possibly ants) crawling around the the leaves of the pepper plants. What can I do? I'm a new gardener.

Also, I should add that these plants are inside a screened pool area. Other plants in the same area (mint, tomato) are fine. The attached photo shows the chewing on the pepper plant leaves and on the leaf I am touching you can see some small black bugs.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bugs or something eating green pepper leaves

Ants wouldn't do that! Slugs? Caterpillars? You can put a tuna can or cat food can out with some beer in it. If it's slugs they will go in for a drink and not be able to get out. Some caterpillars are the same shade of green as the plants and very hard to see. Take your time and look around the plants for them. Then you can pick them off and step on them.

o
RE: Bugs or something eating green pepper leaves

Grasshoppers & katydids do damage that looks like that as well - katydids feed @ night, I believe - & cutworms, etc. are most active in the wee hours, then hide during the day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here