Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
carnivore spring

Posted by tinael01 9B (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 15, 12 at 17:15

anyone else collect meat eaters? The bladderwort is blooming and the nepanthes are putting out new pitchers, the sarracenia plants and theadleaf sundew are coming out of dormancy, the sundew seedlings and bladderwort seedlings are sprouting....YES!! I didn't kill 'em. LOL In fact I've divided some and moved some babies out too!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I can't believe I kept them alive all winter, never mind had success with babies! I am going to try and start cuttings from the nepanthes. stay tuned!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: carnivore spring

I love the pitcher plants! I always enjoy seeing them at the local Ace hardware garden center. I wondered how they did. Yours look great!

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 16, 12 at 7:41

Oh I agree all of yours look so healthy. I have a pitcher plant that I love but it doesn't look as good as yours. I have it on the screened lanai and it keeps the no seeums that get through the screens from bothering us.

I tried a couple of the others but couldn't keep them alive. So you did good, Tina.

o

Thank you both! They live in my atrium which is an unairconditioned inside room with a south facing glass wall. They get distilled water every day. When it rains I put them outside to enjoy it. Someimes if I kill a fly or mosquito I put it in a pitcher. The sun shines through the window in the morning but in the afternoon it is in shadow. Later in the hot part of the year the sun is more north and they get less - but it doesn't seem to bother them.

Kathy are you going to make Sylivas?

The room:

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Oh my gosh, Tina! Tina! That room! You are so lucky to have such a wonderful place to grow plants! I was going to post that I was impressed with the plants but then I scrolled down and saw photos of the atrium and got distracted. Was that a part of the original home, or did you add it on (or close in a porch) later? What a fantastic space.

I have never tried any of the meat eaters but I sure would love to watch them in action. Very cool!

Carol M. in Jacksonville

o

Hi Carol! Thank you so much! We got crazy lucky.....This house was a model home. The builders enclosed the arched walkway to use as a little office space or something. In every other house in the neighborhood it is not enclosed. My husband doesn't really get the plant thing and keeps trying to put stuff in the room that would get spoiled by water. :) Poor guy.

The fly traps are fun to watch! The pitcher plants are very greedy and are filled with insects by the time they are done. the sundews and bladderworts have little black insects stuck all over them. Originally this started as entertainment for Nick, my 10 year old. But now I find these plants incredibly enjoyable.

They grow wild in many places in Florida. There are places near Orlando you can hike through pitcher plant bogs. Tom remembers the sundews from around my neighborhood before builders paved over the spings here. check out the link!

Here is a link that might be useful: pither plant hikes in Florida

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here