Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting tomato seeds

Posted by zackey GA 8b (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 22, 12 at 17:16

I planted several varieties of tomato seeds on the same day. Some were commercial and some were from trades on here. At least one was from someone that saved their own seeds. The ones that did the best were a commercial seed we bought that was 3-4 years old. Yellow Jubilee. The best tasting tomato I have had in all my 34 years of eating tomatoes. How do you plant your seeds. Barely covered? or do you lay them on top and let the water bury them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting tomato seeds

Barely covered. Usually I germinate them indoors in a seed starting mix, but they germinate just as well outside in the dirt when it's warm. For me, that's the easy part - after they come up is when things can get "interesting."

I did a little reading on the Yellow Jubilee you mentioned. Sounds like a possible prospect for next year. How were the yields (and diseases) for you with this variety?

o

We weren't able to grow them to maturity. We had them planted in the ground covered with a makeshift greenhouse and an electric heater inside for the cold nights. They were producing well in mid-March when we went away for a week to visit friends. Our neighbor was taking care of them while we were gone. Unfortunately they didn't live within sight of our house. A big wind blew the plastic off and the frost killed them. I will try to remember to post how they do this year. I just had more seeds pop up, so I now have 100% germination of those seeds and I stored them at room temperature.

o

• Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 23, 12 at 17:53

You state that Yellow Jubilee was excellent, please can you tell me if it was sweet? and perhaps low-acid ?? I am looking for a Indet. yellow with those attributes and have yet to find a good one !! Thanks, sally

o

It was very sweet! Here's what it says on the Ferry Morse seed pack about it: An All-American selection (sorry the next part was tore off) with a mild, non-acidic flavor. They are large, globular and smooth with a meaty thick-walled interior. Few seeds. I haven't been real fond of Ferry Morse seeds in the last few years, but this one was a real winner in my book! I bought it because I was looking for a non-acidic tomato.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here