Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zzackey

OT: fire ant control

zzackey
12 years ago

The darn fire ants are coming up all over my yard! I heard that you can sprinkle grits around their mounds and they will eat them and explode. Is there any other home remedy you can recommend? I don't use chemicals if I can help it.

Comments (15)

• katkin_gw
    12 years ago

I read that grits don't work. :o( I don't know of anything that does except chemicals.

• zzackey
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's weird. I just talked to someone that uses them all the time and says they work. I've heard it both ways.

• nessz79_10a
    12 years ago

We just use the chemicals as well. Nasty little suckers.

• judyk_2008 9a DeLeon Sprs. (NW Volusia)
    12 years ago

Grits didn't work for me and the boric acid sugar traps didn't work because the racoons or possums kept stealing them. I use Safer brand diatomatious earth(it has a bait in it)on my veggie garden and Ortho in the yard where our chickens can't go.

• Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)
    12 years ago

This site claims grits do not work.

I don't like to use pesticides either but since moving to Florida I have made an exception. I've been using Amdro Fire Ant Bait.

• rednofl
    12 years ago

I use Orange oil when they get into my garden it is especially effective when they take over a pot. Out into the yard I use amdro.
    Orange Oil Recipe for Fire Ants
    6 oz. orange oil
    1 tbsp blackstrap molasses
    a squeeze of liquid dish soap
    Add to a gallon jug and fill with water.
    Drench the mounds when the ants are not out foraging. Fire ants prefer mild temperatures, so in the summers they may be out early in the morning and hiding in their mounds by mid-day, and vice-versa for cold days. A gallon will thoroughly soak one mound.

• brute
    12 years ago

The most effective product I have found is "Over and Out" sold at Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.
    The amazing thing about this stuff is that once the fire ants are gone, THEY DON'T COME BACK!
    How this is even possible, I don't know. But works, somehow.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

When using anything on the mound, don't forget to spread some in a circle 3 or 4 feet from the mound too. They have 'back doors' and can easily just move the mound if you don't get them all.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    12 years ago

I don't know much about ants at all. But I always thought it was not important to get them all. I thought the key was to get the queen. As long as one worker/slave/spouse brought the poison to the queen, I thought somehow the mound was destroyed. Not so, I'm guessing?

Carol in Jax

• zzackey
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think if you get the queen it will mess up the others. Not sure. Maybe they can hatch another queen's egg? I will try the Over and Out product. I read that it can't be used in the garden. Thanks for the info!

• corar4gw
    12 years ago

Amdro - used according to directions - is the most effective fire ant killer I've ever used. The mound is usually dead within 24 hours.

• zzackey
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I need something that won't kill my chickens. They will eat anything. I found out we have some Over and Out in the garage. I just need that special someone to put it down in the rest of the yard.

• echobelly
    12 years ago

I moved here 3 years ago, and was determined to be organic. I didn't want my dogs running through chemicals. That didn't last long, none of the organic pesticides worked, forget about grits or coffee grounds. You'll never boil enough water to get deep enough to get them. Many nest have a number of queens, if you disturb them, they usually just move a few feet over. I've declared war, and now use both Amdro and Seven on the hills, at the same time, figuring one might hopefully work. I think my dogs are thanking me, cause they were always stepping on the mounds and I'd be picking ants out from between their toes.

• gatormomx2
    12 years ago

Instead of guessing, why not go to the experts? Just check the University of Florida site for tons of research on fire ants. They recommend several organic answers. Read this link and many more on the UF site for answers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sustainable Fire Ant Management

• zzackey
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks gatormomx2. That's a great link. I found the orange oil mix with a much smaller amount than someone previously mentioned they used for their ant problem. I will have to talk to the ag agent whether or not it will hurt the chickens before I use it. It said that grits won't work because ants only eat liquids.