Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID this tree?

Posted by mick123 Florida Zone 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 14, 12 at 18:16

Hi,

A lot of people have looked at this tree and no one seems to know what it is.

I have attached a couple of links photos. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/mick53/100_2377.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/mick53/100_2381.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID this tree? Whoops, here are the photos

I didn't post the photos correctly the first attempt. Here they are (I hope).

And thanks again.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o
RE: ID this tree?

If you don't know what it is, you are not alone.

I sent a photo to a local Arborist who thought it may be a Cercis canadensis. commonly called the Redbud Tree. But the leaves are only green and never turn red.

When I told him this, he said he was stumped but would try to track it down.

I own a Mystery Tree.

o

Hmmmm....could it be a hickory tree?

Does it produce anything?

o

Hi Wanda,

I have never seen it produce anything. It leaves in spring (now) and the leaves turn brown and fall to the ground in the fall.

It's not very dramatic but i like the tree. Over the years I have had two people stop when they saw the tree and ask if they could have leaves from it.

When I asked why they said would make "tea" from the leaves and drink it. They said tea made from the leaves of this tree were beneficial to their kidneys.

Both these people were elderly and from Cuba. So I guess we can assume this type of tree grows in Cuba.

o

Nobody?

o

Maybe try the GW 'Name this Plant' forum?

Here is a link that might be useful: name this plant forum

o

Maybe if you found out the name the Cubans called it you could look it up?

o

I feel like this is a game - here's three clues - wait - here's another clue - wait. Haha!

In the photo of the leaves, it appears that there are three "flowers" - they look like tiny grape clusters. Are those flowers? Do you have a more/better photos of the flowers and leaves? Most trees can be easily identified with a good photo of the leaf structure.

o

Good idea, love the yard. Here are a couple of close-up shots.Thank you for the suggestion. We'll figure this out yet!
Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Ummmmm, maybe it's not a real tree. I'll have to check it again. :)

o

Maybe a Ficus aurea?

o

Negative, communizm, not any type of Ficus, the leaves are similar in structure but a lot smaller.

Dang!

o

In the photo of the leaves, it appears that there are three "flowers" - they look like tiny grape clusters. Are those flowers?

o

Got it! The scientific name is Nyssa sylvatica. Common names include Black Tupelo, Tupelo, Blackgum, Black Gum, Sour Gum, Pepperidge.

Is there a big cash prize? Photobucket

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Nyssa sylvatica Blackgum

o

Carol,

You had me very excited for a minute. I read all about this tree BUT mine does not have leaves that turn red in the Fall nor does it produce little blue fruit.

Instead of the cash reward, please except my undying gratitude for your efforts.

The bark on the trunk and the leaves are almost identical to what I have.

Double dang!

o

Again, what are the blue/purple "berries" or "flowers" that are shown in the very first picture?!

Still bet I'm right. Many trees that have great color in the fall in northern regions (ex. maples) do not put on such a show in the south.

o

love the yard

What you seem to think are purple berries are just small leaves that haven't grown out yet.

I have been looking at this tree for a long time now. There are no "berries" on it anywhere during any season.

Ain't no dang berries, dear.

o

Doesn't mean I'm wrong, dear. From the link below, "Fruit appear only on female trees and are bluish-black drupes about 1/2 inch long, borne two to three per stalk." [emphasis mine]

Other websites confirm this. From Nyssa sylvatica:
"Small and ineffective, the flowers of black tupelo are greenish white and do not merit much attention. The flowers on this species are polygamo-dioecious, which means that trees are primarily male or female but some flowers of the opposite sex often appear on the same tree. This means that some trees will bear numerous fruits while others will have only a few or none."

I'm guessing your tree is male.

I must have a need for undying gratitude. Or I'm a glutton for punishment. Photobucket

Carol M. in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Native Plants for Georgia - Black Gum or Tupelo/Nyssa sylvatica

o

Where are you, mick? Tupelo doesn't grow in S FL, it's definitely a N FL tree. I don't know what yours is, but unless you're way up north I'm pretty sure that's not it. (Growth habit is unusual, too--tupelos I've seen tend to get pretty tall before they bush out like yours.)

It's highly unlikely tupelo could be part of Cuban folk medicine--won't grow there at all.

o

This map from the USDA Forestry (linked below) shows its native range of habitat in two thirds of Florida. The text actually says "southern Florida". Don't know where Mick's tree is located.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA Forest Service - BLACK TUPELO

o

I have to disagree about the tupelo label - the branch structure & bark look very different from images I looked @. Branches & bark & the way emerging leaves look remind me more of Chinaberry - perhaps something in that family???

Black Tupelo Leaf:

o
more...

Try an image search using the term Meliaceae...

P.S. Neem is in that family - & might this be a sterile sport?

o

The tree is in Tampa.

o

• Posted by mboston 9a(fl)Lakleland (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 18:59

Try taking a leaf, some bark and pictures to USF and see if someone there can ID it for you. I had a tree no one seemed to know what it was and they ID it for me right away.

o

Definitely not tupelo, looks to be a Chinaberry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here