Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenpetefl

ginger?

JenPeteFL
12 years ago

I've been searching GW and the web for info on ginger. I've learned HOW to plant it, but I can't figure out WHEN. Can anyone tell me 1) does ginger do well here in central FL?, 2) when should I start it?, and 3) when is it ready to harvest?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (17)

• katkin_gw
    12 years ago

I don'tknow if it will grow for you in the winter unless you bring it inside. It won't like the freezing weather. There is a Thai ginger that does better but I am not crazy for it's taste.

• coffeemom
    12 years ago

I got some from a swap.How do you harvest it? Just pull out a stalk and use the root? Does it need to set around like a sweet potato for better flavor? TIA

• katkin_gw
    12 years ago

I just cut off some of the under ground tubers. To tell the truth I don't really know if it should set around, I usually use it the day I harvest it.

I haven't had luck with the one most often used for cooking. But I want to try it again. The one I have is the Thai and it is spicier in flavor. But the Thai one grows well for me and wasn't effected by the cold.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    12 years ago

Does anyone grow Blue Ginger (or Blue Hawaiian Ginger) - the one that blooms in the fall? Is it edible or just ornamental? I have been trying to find one in the Jacksonville area, but no luck. I may have to mail order... it'll just go on "THE List" for now. :)

Carol M. in Jacksonville

• JenPeteFL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Does anyone know when to plant it, and how to tell when it's ready?

12 years ago

I just found that there is a Ginger Forum - they may have helpful information. I linked it below.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Ginger Forum

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    12 years ago

I think you can pretty much plant it any time now - you certainly wouldn't need to be concerned about cold weather probs at this time of year. I like to start things in pots first, then transplant later, if necessary.

I have some ornamental ginger coming up right now that I started in pots about a month ago. I have some culinary ginger in a large container (for more than a year now), but it has not re-emerged yet. FWIW, I did the same w/ some fresh turmeric root I bought last year.

Not sure if you've seen this yet....
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mv067

Or this...

Here is a link that might be useful: Ginger @ Floridata.com

• JenPeteFL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, CarolB. I looked for hours on the ginger forum and other forums that seemed related and couldn't find out when to plant it. Lots of other great info, just not when. Maybe I just missed it, but... I'll give it a try now. I appreciate it!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    12 years ago

There are 2 kinds of blue ginger that I know of. One is a true ginger of the globba and is called 'Blue Hawaii'. It has very light blue flowers/brackets and is sort of a pendulous type of flower. I got one from zone9tropicals last year when they offered a few as well as some other new rare gingers.

The other "ginger" that is more common that is called 'Blue Ginger' is not really a true ginger but Dichorisandra thyrsiflora. It gets much taller but has brighter darker blue flowers. It is quite confusing lol.
    ~SJN

12 years ago

SJN, thank you SO much for the clarification! And here I was, thinking they were the same-same. That will help me.

Hope your brugs - and all your plants - are doing well!

Carol in Jax

12 years ago

That also explains why the second one is sometimes called "False Blue Ginger". Now I "get it".

Carol

• User
    12 years ago

tons of "blue ginger" here, grows like a perennial weed. not a true ginger, but a killer bloom.....i keep moving it around the yard. very dependable, but don't pay a high price...

11 years ago

Walli, why do you say don't pay a high price? Not worth it? Or because they are easy to find? ... they haven't been so far, here in Jacksonville. I'm still looking but probably getting close to ready to order...

Thanks,
    Carol in Jax

• User
    11 years ago

it propagates so easy, threat of a freeze i cut it all down, stick it in a pot in the screen room, protected, and it roots really fast. the clump i cut comes back bigger and taller the next year. want some?

• SusieQsie_Fla
    11 years ago

Hi Mark
    If you can spare some of that Blue Ginger, wanna do a trade?
    I've got some Formosa and some Butterfly . . . .

Susie

11 years ago

Wow, Mark, how kind and generous of you! After Susie, I would be thrilled to get some Blue Ginger, too, depending up your availability of time and cuttings. If you are short on either, no big deal. I have many things I can send you in return... but I know you have a huge plant collection already... I'm wondering what I have that you would like. Hmmm...

Carol in Jacksonville

• User
    11 years ago

let me know, i think my email address is on here somewhere...

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!