Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stpete_mango

Mango trees planted

stpete_mango
11 years ago

An update for all you kind advisers: 4 mango, a lychee and a mandarin trees have been planted.
And here is a photo of a plucky little Nam Doc Mai.
The mangoes are Cogshall, Mallika, NDM (#4) and Pickering (Puglvr, you see some of your suggestions here?!). The lychee is Emperor, and the mandarin is Ponkan.
All were in 3 gallon pots. The NDM cost $30; the others $35 each. Saw the bigger pots, and decided the trees were too leggy, with excessively long trunks before the branches were allowed to form.
Got the NDM yesterday from a Thai couple who sell tropical trees at the Mustang Flea Market (it's more of a farmers' market) in Pinellas Park; the other trees are from Jene's Tropicals in St. Petersburg.
Jene talked me out of the Glenn; said while it could be pruned and topped and kept at 10 feet, it would eventually get too woody, with a trunk that gets thicker. She still has to get me a Graham mango and a Makok sapodilla.
Visited the Mustang market a week ago, and Anong Silakhom, who brings the tropicals from his nursery in Palmetto, had only big trees left at 9 a.m. He promised to bring in smaller ones this week, and he did.
I was amazed to see little NDMs in 3 gallon pots already growing mangoes. There was one with SIX, each about the size of a lemon. I chose one with 2 mangoes on it that were larger, and whose back didn't look like it was going to break!

Comments (8)

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Congrats Stpete!! That's a nice selection of mango tree varieties! The emperor lychee should do well for you as far as size since its a slow growing variety and with once it gets established you should be able to prune it and keep it from getting too large.

Love the 2 little mangoes on that tree. Keep an eye on it as letting it fruit this young can take a lot of energy from a very young/small tree.

Best of luck and thanks for the update...soon enough you will be eating your own home grown fruits!

• jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a )
    11 years ago

Way to go Stpete ! I also pruned off the many tiny new fruits spouting at the top of my new, skinny Tebow mango tree that I planted a month ago. Let the energy go into new growth at this stage.
    Your selection of mango trees sounds fine, even tho the Nam Doc Mai is the only one I am personally familiar with. My NDM is now in the ground four years and is a robust 10 ft tall, and although it had a huge harvest last year, was showing no new fruit....as of 10 days ago !Since then it's been very agressively sprouting the new pannicles,..great stuff.
    But my main thrill has been with whats happening on my Glenn. It was the 1st to start flowering/fruiting, way back in early Dec as usual, so concentrated on the other 3 mature trees to see when they'd burst out, The Valencia Pride and then the NDM didn't dissappoint, but then, lo and behold,...here comes A NEW VIGOROUS SPROUTING OF TINY MANGO"S ON THE GLENN TREE, just a week ago !!!! In my ten years of messing with mango trees, this is a first. The hundreds of big olive-size early mango's alongside the plethora of new tiny mangos !
    Looks like a very interesting June thru August hereabouts ! The Tebow and Maha Chinook are too young, will be 3 more years before they get to a meaningful fruiting status. Am sure you'll enjoy the ones you selected but IMHO, think a Glenn would have been an interesting addition. ( smile )

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Congrats on your Glenn Jofus...sounds like its going to be a great year for yours. I love Glenn and would recommend that variety as well...but having said that I'm very disappointed with my Glenn(planted in the ground) fruit production so far this year...Bloomed like crazy in Dec. but only a very "few" fruits set (4 maybe)?. Not sure why...but I do have a few more bloom pannicles that are just starting to push out, have no idea if those will amount to anything. Sad too since this year the Glenn has gotten to a really nice mature size...definitely should have had a lot more fruit if the abundant blooms set as it should have. Its pretty bad when my Potted Glenn has 3x more fruits on it than my inground Glenn,lol...

• stpete_mango
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, folks. The mangoes came off. Took the seed from one and am tempted to plant it in a pot to see what happens :)
    The Pickering has a pretty big pannicle. Do I clip it off now, or wait a while longer to see what develops?
    It's been a fun project. Now for the long wait for them to bear fruit!
    And spreading a truckload of free wood chips - about 10 cubic yards - got "interesting." About 18 hours of hard labor over a week! Need 3 - 4 cubic yards more, but the tree service guys can only do a full truck (for free). Looking at paying the city for the rest, a mix of free plant mulch (have to pay for delivery; best for soil but also really ugly) with wood chips as top dressing/disguise.
    Looking at the 18 feet space I left between the trees, I'm tempted to stick in a couple more - with the trees so small right now, the space looks so wasted. I know, insane thought ...

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

About removing the pannicles now...I've read two advice, remove them now or wait till you see small fruit. I guess sometimes when you remove the bloom spikes a few weeks later new blooms form. But, if it were mine I would go ahead and remove them and "hope" the next set that grows will be new growths which is exactly what you want. Good luck!

Mulching the trees is a lot of work for sure!!

I'm sure it is very tempting to add more trees since the trees are very small right now...but remember they will grow and anything you put inbetween will need full sun or it will not produce much fruit. As a quote from a Kung Fu movie..

"Patience grasshopper",lol...

Believe me I know how you feel...Patience is not a virtue I was blessed with either :o)

• stpete_mango
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Puglvr. Will mull over the panicles for a few days.

• rene09
    11 years ago

I have a Carrie Mango with fruit on it, probably 15 or so about the size of a very large marble. It had a lot more but they dropped off, It had 2 last year. I have protected it with Christmas lights & a 100 light bulb underneath It is about 4ft.. I live about half way between Tampa & Orlando 40 mi. South of Lakeland. I am pushing the limits here. I also have a Nam Doc on a barrier Island south of Englewood. It had a great crop of fruit last year but haven't been down lately, hope to go next week weather permitting, Will report back then. It is about 12 ft.

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Hi Rene09...Good luck with your Carrie mango, it is sad how many of the baby fruitlets fall off before they mature :o(

I hope your NDM in Englewood is loaded again this year.

Nancy