Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amberroses

Kangaroo Paw plant

amberroses
14 years ago

I want to recommend a plant to all of you Florida gardeners that has done well in this very cold winter...the kangaroo paw plant. This is the strangest thing. I kinda thought that being from Australia it would hate the cold, but it is blooming its head off right now.

I purchased this particular plant last Fall at Lowes on the clearance rack. It was the most rootbound plant I have ever seen. I had to hack at the roots with a screwdriver to break them up at all.

Does anyone else have a kangaroo paw plant?

Comments (14)

• kayjones
    14 years ago

I have three 'pots' of KP sitting in my Florida room - no signs of life, even though I didn't water them and kept it heated. I don't hold much hope for them coming back.

• ladywingr
    14 years ago

I looked at them last spring, but couldn't bring myself to pay full price for it. Glad to know it's doing well and may add yet another plant to my "maybe gotta have it" list!

• marcia_m
    14 years ago

I saw them at HD last week. They were pricey and I didn't know anything about them, so I passed on them. Curious looking plants, though. I might buy them if they were on a half price rack--I'm cheap!
    Marcia PA/FL

• katkin_gw
    14 years ago

Marcia, that's not being cheap, it's smart shopping. Gardening is a very expensive hobby at times, and prize plants are costly only to loose them to freeze or humidity or lubbers or ..... :o)

• User
    14 years ago

we had one last summer, picked it up at lowes. didn't make it through the hot, wet summer. think the key to survival is keep it hot and dry. same situation with the "Joey" plant fron down under. gone.

• olyagrove
    14 years ago

I gave one a try last year - and just like Wallisadi said, mine also did not make it through the heat

I grow a lot of Aussie orchids and they are not easy to grow - they all tolerate cold well and low humidity, but they do not want to get all hot and sweaty....

For example, both Australia and California are famous for their cymbidiums - which makes me think CA and Australia are more similar in their general growing climate than us. To grow cymbidiums in Fl, one has to find heat and humidity tolerant varieties...

The Kangaroo plant sure was cute, I wish I still had it growing :)

Olya

• amberroses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I took this picture yesterday. It doesn't have a lot of leaves, but there are new little sprouts. It is planted in full sun western exposure and is probably in the dryest part of the garden. Maybe that helps?

• diane_v_44
    10 years ago

I just bought a kangaroo paw plant on sale up here in Canada

75% off

neat orange red flower to it
    I have gardens in florida and was thinking maybe it would grow in the gardens there But seems unless I found a dry spot it would not happen.
    Maybe I can just keep it up here and overwinter it in my solarium

Apparently you can grow them from seed as well

• KaraLynn
    10 years ago

I gave this a try again this year and as soon as the rain and high humidity started back up it rather quickly died even though I kept it in a pot and tried to keep it from getting water logged. I think that the only way this plant will make it through a florida summer is if it was kept in an air conditioned sun room.

• shear_stupidity
    10 years ago

Kara, I got a Kangaroo Paw plant from Dawn (morningloree) several months ago. I put it in the ground where it only gets sun for a few hours right in the middle of the day, haven't done another thing to it and it's doing great. Even with all the rain and cloudy days and whatnot. A great little plant! Have you tried it in the ground?

• KaraLynn
    10 years ago

I got my latest plant from Dawn too! I tried it in the ground the first time I had it and it rather quickly died that time too. I thought that if I kept it in a pot this time the soil it was in would dry out faster then putting it in the ground. Nope, I think this is just one of those plants that I will have to just admire in the store but not bring home! lol

• shear_stupidity
    10 years ago

Well if it makes you feel any better, I'm one of those strange people who can't grow Basil of all things. I can't imagine why in the world not, as I've grown it at all of my other houses from Michigan to Georgia to Florida... and even grew it fine at my last house 5 miles away!!!

• diane_v_44
    10 years ago

I do love the plant though

THe flowers are so neat

Looks good among other tropicals

• morningloree
    10 years ago

Mine get some morning sun and a bit of afternoon sun, still doing fine, planted by dwarf firebush. This soil is sandy and not amended, probably doesn't get as moist. I am having trouble with Australian plants in general, I have tried Leucodendren and a few others, only the Kangaroo Paw, Daphne Odorata and Baleria have survived. I am putting in a raised garden for the remaining plants, I suspect they do not tolerate overly moist soil and full on Florida sunshine.