Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whgille

It is time for the spring party...

whgille
12 years ago

Saturday April 14 we will be having the swap/party at 11am at my house. First we will served lunch and anything goes, try to post what you are bringing either food or drink so there is no doubles.

After the food we will have the swap for those interested in trading.

Hope to see you on Saturday April 14.

Silvia

Comments (96)

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Barbie - I will make a small packet of the ones that are more compact and I will include the Italian one, this is the first season that I am trying that one, when you come to the house, you will see them growing...

Beopposed - I didn't get your email, but if you are serious about coming, contact me one week before the party and will send you the directions.

Silvia

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Linda

You and Ted are welcome to the garden party!

Looking forward to Saturday April 14...

Silvia

• tomncath
    12 years ago

Tom a red lime would be WONDERFUL - I can't wait to see how they do and keep us posted on the tolerance. I'll baby mine and pull it indoors since I'm inland.

Hi Barbie, I started twenty seeds a few weeks ago and so far thirteen have come up. I started the rest of the seeds (57) Thursday night so I should have plenty of Silvia's red lime seedlings for both her's and Lori's parties.

Tom

• inulover (9A Inverness, Florida)
    12 years ago

I've been thinking about coming, but I'm not sure I can come up with anything to trade. We have been here a year and I still don't know what most of the OP's plants are. I think I will kill everything this summer that hasn't bloomed yet and start over. Last year's vegetable garden was a loss. I planted like I was still in Seattle and most of it died in the heat. My banana made it through the winter with an extra pup, but I have no Idea what it is. The neighbors said it flowered once and the fruit was nasty. I really would like to get some seeds for jungle beans and something called an Everglades Tomato? This upside down growing season down here is strange.

Larry

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Larry

It would be a good idea for you to come and see the garden and what I am growing now, maybe you can get some ideas and be in the company and ask questions of experienced gardeners that are coming to the party.
    Some day you will have things to trade, think that anything goes in a swap, not only plants...
    I will have some black jungle butterbeans for you and you have to ask Tom about the Everglades tomato seeds.
    If you are interested, one week before the party contact me through my email and will send you directions.

Silvia

• tomncath
    12 years ago

Hi Larry,

It's definitely not necessary to bring anything to trade. It's all about the camaraderie and sharing of knowledge, going home with "stuff" is just a bonus. We all like to eat so just bring some fruit or a dish to share ;-)

I'll be bringing packets of both red and yellow currant (Everglades) tomato seeds, so you're covered on that one.

Tom

• locteach
    12 years ago

Hi Sylvia,

I would love to come to the Spring Garden party. I am not sure what I will be bring yet to share but I will update as we get closer to the date.

My food contribution will have a local grown element to it.

I did make strawberry jam Friday. I picked the strawberries at a Oakhaven Farms in Sorrento, Florida on Thursday afternoon. I also went to Long and Scott Farms on Thursday. I got some lovely red potatoes and onions picked on their farm that morning that I turned in to scalloped potatoes for St. Patrick's Day.

Growing and eating local,
    Laurie

P.S. Tomcath - We have a bright Maine Coon at our house who thinks he is a little boy. He truly forgets he is a cat. May he bring you great joy as ours brings to us.

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Laurie

We would love to see you at the party! and anything that you will bring sounds wonderful, growing and eating local is the best thing.

It is almost time to pick fruits at the farms close by and I will be doing that too.:)

Silvia

• KaraLynn
    12 years ago

I plan on coming! I know I haven't been posting lately but I have been lurking. For food I think that I'll bring an applesauce cake (a type of spice cake) with creamcheese icing.

I cleaned up my pond this past weekend and now have a surplus of waterlilies, hardy white and red/pinks. I also have extra parrots feather plants. Anyone interested?

I'll have to see what other plants to bring as I clean up the garden. So far I've potted up some white butterfly ginger, liatrus, umbrella sedge, and pale yellow firecracker plants.

Kara

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Kara

I am so glad that you can make it to the party! I am sure that you have the nicest plants, my garden is mostly in full sun and I have been adding some plants little by little. I would be interested in the yellow firecracker plant. My garden is young and planted with mostly vegetables and have lots of veggie seeds, can you use something that I have? let me know... and I am looking forward to see you April 14.

Silvia

• tomncath
    12 years ago

Hi Laurie, Thanks for the kind words, Ricky has restored my sanity....It will be nice to meet you.

Kara, I'd like some of the umbrella sedge, AND, was it you that had the Lion's Ear? If so I sure would like a little...see this post, in case you missed it.

Tom

• derbyka
    12 years ago

I wish that I could attend for the first time! Everyone seems to always say such wonderful things about your gatherings. It looks like I have out of town guests that weekend though so it doesn't look possible.

• Tom
    12 years ago

Tomcath, I have five red penta cuttings growing for you now. I don't know if I will be able to make much or any of the party since my son has a soccer game at noon, (I'm the team manager) but I will bring the plants over and leave them for you at Sylvia's.

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Derbyka - I am sorry that you cannot make it to the party, maybe next time you can come. It will be a good idea for you to check out the community gardens in my area to get some ideas, this is their first spring season and the tomatoes that I gave them are in already...

Tom123 - That is so nice of you! Don't forget to say hi and maybe next party you don't have games...

Silvia

• KaraLynn
    12 years ago

Silvia, I'll make sure to bring plenty of the firecracker plant, it's really been needing to be thinned. I'm just glad I'm able to make it to your garden party this year! I share a vegitable garden with my mom who lives right next door and we've already filled most of her vegi beds. But I love to mix herbs into my flower beds and am always on the look out for new types. Right now all the herbs I have are several types of thyme, fennel, and a large tansy plant.

Tomcath, you can have all the umbrella sedge you want! Right now it's getting way to close to the pond and needs a great deal of thinning. I've got lions tail which is probably the same thing as lions ear but I have never been able to root it. I'd be happy to bring you cuttings though as it's already over a foot tall now.

Does anyone have any African Blue Basil? I lost mine a couple years ago and would love to have some more!

Kara

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kara - It is so nice to hear that you share the veggie garden with your mom, if she can come she is welcome to the house.
    I am going to look for some interesting herbs to root for you...and since you are in a colder zone, I have some seeds from Monticello that might do well for you. I am glad that you can make it to the party!

Silvia

• tomncath
    12 years ago

Tomcath, I have five red penta cuttings growing for you now. I don't know if I will be able to make much or any of the party since my son has a soccer game at noon, (I'm the team manager) but I will bring the plants over and leave them for you at Sylvia's.

Tom, do you live close to Silvia? If not I don't want you put out to do this...I'll send you an email.

Tomcath, you can have all the umbrella sedge you want! Right now it's getting way to close to the pond and needs a great deal of thinning. I've got lions tail which is probably the same thing as lions ear but I have never been able to root it. I'd be happy to bring you cuttings though as it's already over a foot tall now.

Hi Kara, I'll take the sedge but it's the Lion's ear/tail I really want. Nobody seems to have this stuff that's only 4-5' tall and I don't get a sense it seeds well, mostly from cuttings or plant divisions.

Tom

• gardencraze
    12 years ago

Silvia,
    I am so sorry I did not get back with on the Loquats and all that awesome stuff you gave. My life has just been sooo crazy.
    But I have to say I had a great time making the Loquat jam and it turn out delish. the one you made was even better!!!

I will def be at the garden party next month and Rick and I will take care of the plant table as we discussed, it will be our pleasure.

Please save me a sweet potato slip.

Kara I'm so glad you could make it I haven't seen you since I met you at your party a couple of years ago.

Silvia, again thank you soo much for your your generasity.

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Carmen

I am so happy that you and Rick are coming and yes I want everyone to be happy and have good trades the day of the party. That is the reason we hope to be very organized and will follow the program. First we all meet, then eat and then swap and thank you very much in advance for helping me with the table and the trades. I will be busy with the garden, questions, etc.
    Good to hear that you like the jam as much as we do, next year we will make more. I made last week a loquat chutney that came out really good!
    I am making a lot of sweet potato slips and will save for you and Rick if he wants them, maybe he can plant the Colorette from Echo since he has the space...
    Looking forward to the party!

Silvia

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is a reminder for Saturday April 14 at 11am. To those that don't know the house and need the address, please contact me through my email

Anybody else need sweet potatoes? they are nicely rooting now...

Looking forward to the party and see all the gardeners that are coming!

Silvia

• westhamutd
    12 years ago

Silvia,I would have loved to drop by & meet you in person,but unfortunately I have a soccer game(I'm team coach)at 11am.By the time the game is over & with the drive involved,it would be late afternoon.I was hoping the club would give me an early game for April 14th,but wasn't to be.Would have loved to get some sweet potatoe slips from you,as I've never tried growing them yet.Have a great party & post plenty of pics.Best,Darcy.

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Darcy

I would have loved to have you at the party, but if you cannot make there is always going to be another get together that you can come...

About the sweet potatoes it is one of the best crops to grow here they are easy, productive, store well, nutritious and go with a lot of recipes. Maybe we can work something out so you don't miss this coming growing season, send me an email.

We will take a lot of pictures for you and others that cannot come the 14. Thank you for your good wishes.

Silvia

12 years ago

Silvia, I was going to send you an email for directions yesterday, but SWMBO has committed me to helping someone with their car that day. She has brown thumbs and kills plants by looking at them, so she isn't much into garden parties. I was really looking forward to meeting some gardeners that know this area, and getting some jungle beans and current tomato seeds, but it looks like I'm going to have to wait 'til next year.

Larry

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Larry

You are going to miss the party, it is a lot of fun! We will try to take pictures for you.:)
    We are going to have pickles and homemade/ homegrown jams tastings.
    Send me your address to my email and will send you some black jungle butterbeans.

Silvia

• JenPeteFL
    12 years ago

Bad news resulting in good news - woohoo! My daughter has a volleyball tournament the same day and time as the party, so of course I thought I'd be missing the party. Bad news- my daughter got injured (sprained ankle) this past weekend at another tournament, so she's in a boot for two-three weeks. Good news- since she can't play in the tournament, I'm free to go to the party!

Is there anything particular you need me to bring?

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Jen

I am very sorry about your daughter's injury but I am glad that you can make it to the party.
    You can bring any dish that you like, or if you prefer a drink to share with the other gardeners.
    About the plant swap, it is up to you. You can either bring plants, seeds or anything garden related to trade but that is not required...
    Contact me through my email and will send you directions to the house.

Silvia

12 years ago

I managed to get the car repair gig moved, so I'm back on.

I don't know what most of the plants here are, and the ones I do (like the mother of millions) I don't think anybody would appreciate. I do have some surplus lattice. It is white vinyl half sheets. I have at least 8. Some are stained, but they would look fine covered with green growing things. If someone thinks they could use them, I'll strap them to the roof of the exploder.

Larry

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Larry

I am glad that you can come to the party, looking forward to meet you!
    Bring a lot of questions, hopefully we can answer some of those.:)

Silvia

• garf_gw
    12 years ago

I'd love to attend. How many miles is it from Miami?

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Garf

We would love to have you at the party, hope that you can come. When we go to Miami, it is about 3 1/2 hours from the house.
    If you decide to come, send me an email for the address...

Silvia

• garf_gw
    12 years ago

I'm afraid that 3.5 hours puts it out of range for a day trip. Sorry.

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

For those that are coming and need the address, please contact me through my email and will send it to you.

Don't forget this Saturday April 14 we will meet at my house at 11am, hope to see you all!

Silvia

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Darn it, I was so hoping to be able to come this time, Sylvia, but I have to work. One of these years...

Have fun, everyone!

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Writersblock

I hope to meet you one day...we will take pictures for you, to be in the company of gardeners it is always fun!

Silvia

• klflorida
    12 years ago

Silvia, is there a food link for what we are bringing? If this is the right forum, Terry and I will bring pasta salad and a couple plates of deviled eggs. Is that okay? I'm open for anything, but I figured we better get this menu started!

Does anyone have a happy orlando eggplant plant? We planned to grow them but due to a series of errors they didn't make it into the garden this year. I'm hoping it doesn't hurt to throw it out there; just in case. . .

We don't have a whole lot to trade but Terry (my farmer husband) has been busy with the vegetable side of the garden and may have some extra seeds.

I thinned out the Crinum Ellen Lily Bulbs and have approx seven bulbs. I also have a couple of scarlet sage and black and blue salvia I grow for the hummingbirds. I'm hoping to get the time to thin the Canna Lilies as they are always fun and again they too attract the hummingbirds.

Terry and I are really looking forward to seeing everyone and picking your brains for tried and true gardening tips.

Kathy

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kathy, the food choices sound perfect! and yes it is a very good idea to post what anyone is bringing so there is no doubles. Some gardeners have told me in the email what they are bringing, others are probably still thinking...
    I had a very good harvest of carrots, cucumbers and zucchini and I made different pickles for all of you to try...
    It is going to be a fun day!

Silvia

• abnorm
    12 years ago

Kathy/Terry...YES...I posted earlier about two orphan Orlando Eggplants
    ....I'll write your name on them...see you there

TomCath....We could use a Lime sprout.....thanks

HiYa Silvia...I LOVE your pickles....We can't wait to
    "GardenParty" with Old and New Friends !!!

dougandpam

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Doug & Pam

Can't wait to see you at the garden party! everything is coming along nicely and we will be able to spend time with some old friends and meet new ones.

For drinks we will have water, beer and wine...bring cameras but promise to post only the nice pictures...lol

Silvia

• klflorida
    12 years ago

Doug & Pam, thank you thank you thank you for the orlando eggplant!

Silvia, can't wait to try those pickles.

Looking forward to Saturday.

Kathy & Terry

• Tom
    12 years ago

Silvia, I have a soccer game in Winter Garden behind the YMCA starting at noon. I will bring by some plants for the exchange right at or a little before 11, but I will need to leave then. How long do you anticipate the party to last? Our game won't finish until 1:15 or so.

• katkin_gw
    12 years ago

Silvia, I am sorry to say we won't be able to attend. I was hoping we could. The pool repairs are more then I exspected them to be. I am sorry, hope you all have a great time. :o)

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tom123, I never know how long the party last but you can stop after the game is over at the house, we will be happy to spend some time with you...and yes, you can drop the plants before 11, looking forward to see you on Saturday!

Kathy, I am sorry that you can't make it to the party, maybe next time. Thank you for the good wishes and I will send the artichoke seeds in the mail...

Silvia

• tinael01
    12 years ago

Can't wait! I am bringing some samosas and chutney to dip them in. I am bringing some amarylis, blanket flower, porterweed, daturas, banana pups, marigold seeds from a marigold I planted for the trial, and seeds from various plants. I also have a couple of tiny sundew plants and a butterwort that I won't bring unless I have a specific request for them.

• ibarbidahl
    12 years ago

Silvia -
    If you don't mind I'm brining a guest along with me. :-) My Stepmother is a veggie gardener, too and she is just dying to see your place!

Can't wait to see everyone tomorrow! :-D

Barbie~

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tina, good choices!

Barbie, bring the Stepmother to the party, she is very welcome at our house!

It is going to be a beautiful day to enjoy with our gardening friends!

Silvia

• tinael01
    12 years ago

Update....the banana pups have gotten kinda big. no dig unless I get a request. Instead I dug up some orange and yellow canna and some shorter red canna. I can also bring some alpinglow (vera higgins) succulent, plush plant, cotyledon, chocolate soldier, and kalanchoe eriophylla upon request. But then I am happy to oblige! :)

• tomncath
    12 years ago

Uh, Tina, we're going in my truck! Me thinks I'm going to have to pull down some packing blankets to cover stuff in the truck bed to keep the plant damage down.... :-(

Tom

• tinael01
    12 years ago

LOL! Why don't I drive, Tom, and you ride? It sounds like a lot....but really I've got the plants all packed to go in a box. Vivek went to the Indian store to buy my samosas because I left it too late to make them...but they don't carry them anymore, so no food going.

12 years ago

Tinae101 - what kind of banana do you have. I'm hoping to get a RajaPuri some day.

Larry

• tinael01
    12 years ago

Hi Larry, I do have that banana with two large pups. One I can spare so I will do my best tomorrow to dig it up. You are going to be at the swap?

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals