Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to grow staghorn ferns in a hanging basket

Posted by juttz 9b (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 19:27

I have a staghorn fern which is quite big and would like to know how to grow it in a hanging basket with cocoa fiber liner..I see them growing in them but Im not sure if you add dirt and how do you put them in the basket..If there is somebody who grows them this way would please give me some instructions, I would be so happy...Judy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to grow staghorn ferns in a hanging basket

Hey Judy....we're in Colonialtown North a couple minutes from Leu Gardens....You're welcome to visit....the garden is always Open :-)

We have Lots-O-Stags....

The idea is to take a division and place it INSIDE the wire basket with the Frond passing thru the basket....eventually the sterile frond will grow over the wires.....

We had a large fella fall and had plenty of the "larger" pups to work with....the layers of sterile frond are the primary location of the roots.....you don't need a lot of soil or media BUT it's easier care if they have a moisture reserve....

Here's a wood plaque with wire fencing acting as a basket.....the bright screwheads are visible.....We plan to remove the stag and display it on a garden structure

dougandpam

This post was edited by abnorm on Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 22:51

o
RE: How to grow staghorn ferns in a basket

And One more picture......our favorite of Stag-as-Table

This post was edited by abnorm on Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 22:54

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here