Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
update on in-ground growing

Posted by pnbrown z6.5 MA (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 19:45

Some photos of this winter's garden, which is doing pretty good due to such an unusual amount of rain plus a lot of mulch. N and K is being supplied by aged urine and worm casting tea.

Several southern types of multiplying onions that I obtained last year from a fellow who is attempting to collect all the historical southern cultivars - a super useful and impressive project (mustard spinach beyond):

photo _DSC0530_zpsba26146f.jpg

Totally bug-free red cabbage (note the little sprouts coming on the one that was cut):

photo _DSC0531_zps27e98df8.jpg

Kale has been growing very fast. The little bare spot in the mulch is where I am inter-seeding corn and beans to hopefully fill in as the kale gets ragged from heat:

photo _DSC0532_zps647d953b.jpg

More clumps of perennial onions and a row of potatoes growing in compost fortified with humate and azomite that we got from Edgewater. This stuff has turned out to be almost too rich, we are slowly working it in to the dirt beneath where the grass from a year ago has vanished. Pole bean cages are barely discernible beyond that:

photo _DSC0528_zps4c965cab.jpg

Another row of potatoes in a less rich bed. Needs mulching on one side, I've been slacking I guess:

photo _DSC0529_zps6e7e978d.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: update on in-ground growing

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 17:03

Hi Pat

You have a productive garden! veggies are looking very good especially the cabbage, hope that you get some potatoes before leaving...

Silvia

o

Barring misfortune we should get a feed or two of new potatoes!

BTW, for those of y'all that have the space for a permanent bed of scallions, hopefully next year I'll be able to send out sets of the multiplying onions.

o

pnbrown, I used to grow tomatoes only in containers. After a recent couple bad years in containers, I now grow them in the ground. The results are much better. My garden has been nourished with organic matter for decades. I just put 52 bags of oak leaves onto about 1,200 square feet today. Been doing this for years.

o

Yes, it seems like the live oak leaves do real good. I haven't used them much yet, but a fellow down the road uses them -and whatever leaves he can get - like crazy on his collards, and they are amazing collard plants.

That's a lotta leaves, 52 bags, wow. A foot deep over the whole plot, or what?

o

pnbrown, We have been getting most of my leaves from another geezer a few blocks away. He fills his bags only about half full. I don't like the bagged leaves that I can barely lift onto my truck. The 52 bags worked out to about 7 inches or so on my veggie garden. We also use the leaves for a large portion of my back yard. We usually gather from 125 to 150 bags per season. I prefer live oak leaves as they are small and don't tend to move around much. We spread another 16 bags today from another neighbor. Those bags were about 3/4 full. I say we because my wife is a big help on the project. The downside is that some people have potato vine taters in with their leaves. You have to be careful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here