Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomncath

Summer veggies - who wants to try some seeds?

tomncath
15 years ago

So, we all know very little in the way of veggies will grow here in the summer heat and humidity. Having said that, and you all know my seed fetish and how determined I am to find some summer replacements for squash and cucumbers, I've purchased several different heat-friendly veggie seeds to try this summer and would be happy to share a few with those of you that would like to give them a try. Below are links to what I've purchased, bear in mind that these are mostly melons eaten as cukes or squash so I've tagged them as such, drop me a line if you're interested....

Tom

Metik Dark Green cuke

Metik Painted Serpent cuke

Metik White Serpent cuke

Thai Serpent squash

Extra Long Snake squash

Extra Long Dancer Snake squash

Tatume vining summer squash

Bottle Gourd - Asia short squash

Calabash Gourd - medium long squash

Bottle Gourd - India Long squash

Bottle Gourd - Extra Long squash

Comments (24)

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    15 years ago

Tom ~ The 'Extra long snake' says that it can take the summer heat so I will try that one. If you recommend another I'll try it.

Christine

• jonnys
    15 years ago

Hello Tom, it is kind of you to offer this. I would like to try and grow the, Metik dark green cuke, as I haven't grown an Armenian style.

• trinigemini
    15 years ago

Tom its so nice of you to offer to share. I would love to try all of the cuke varieties. I have tried cucumber down her two years in a row and gave up as they sizzled in the summer. I'd be interested to see if I have better luck with your varieties of melons eaten as cukes. Let me know what to do.

• trinigemini
    15 years ago

I forgot to ask if you wanted anything? I don't have much in the way of seeds rights now but I'm sure once summer is here I'll be loaded. I have cosmos, some are in bloom now so I could harvest those seeds soon. I also have some pepper plants, they are hot but not sure what variety. Possibly have some datura seeds still in the shed.

• pnbrown
    15 years ago

I have some florida-grown hickory king field corn if anybody wants to try it. Grits, doncha know?

I like your idea of testing tropical type cucurbit species as a summer squash. We'd try whatever you have to spare. Send you an SASE?

• whgille
    15 years ago

Hi Tom
    I will try your Metik Painted serpent cuke if you still have some left.
    Thank you for your generosity.
    Swilly

• tomncath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Folks,

I can't make specific recommendations as this will be my first time at these too. For those of you going to ECHO next weekend I'll be there too so I'll bring all my seeds and you can get what you want then. Everyone else just drop me an email stating what you'd like to try, no need for an exchange or SASE, most of you know I'm the Imelda Marcos of veggie seeds, in a trance here....must by seeds....:-)

Tom

• mizadventure
    15 years ago

This is really great of you Tom! Also, it will be a really interesting experiment! I can't wait to hear which varieties did best. And since everyone will be using the seeds from the same source they'll be from the same batch and everything so it will be easier to weigh in the different variables in growing conditions for true results. Then we would know for next summer which variety did the very best and which conditions were the most favorable here in Florida!

• tomncath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So, who's coming to ECHO on Saturday? Other than Swilly I'm not sure who wants me to mail them seeds?

Tom

15 years ago

Tom,
    Miranda and I will be at ECHO, hopefully, around 9am. You can give me seeds then. Do you want any seeds that I have? I have some extra rattlesnake pole (green) beans and I could spare a few zipper cream pea seeds. And, roselle.

Christine

• tomncath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Christine, that sounds good, I'll try a few rattlesnake's :-)

15 years ago

Ok, Tom. I'll bring you some rattlesnake seeds.

• tomncath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Folks interested in seed, please send me an email with your mailing info; Jonnys9, trinigemini, pnbrown, mizadventure...so far only Christine and Silvia are set up with seeds.

Tom

• flyingfish2
    15 years ago

Tom, seems like Jim and me got our share of your seeds on Sat:>)

Were you ever able to read my email to you or should I try resending. I was hoping you could bring me a bag of the release fertilizer and a couple of bags of pinefines when you come to Okeechobee. Give me a call sometime or email me.

bernie

• tomncath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Bernie, I spent yesterday in the garden since we were at ECHO Saturday, then read GW post last night. I'll read email tonight when I get home. I'll try to get the Nutricote but can't guarantee that one since I'm not planning a trip to Sarasota, it will depend on if Cypress Creek has it in stock or can get it this week...fines won't be a problem.

Tom

• tomncath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Folks, I'm having trouble with email via Outlook. Please send me another email with your mailing info and I'll read it via my ISP gateway.

Tom

• tomncath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Last chance, respond here if you're still interested...Silvia's seeds are going out tomorrow and I have not received email from most of the rest of you....

15 years ago

Tom ~ The seeds you gave me sprouted. Just waiting for the first set of true leaves to form before planting them in the garden. Trouble is, I haven't quite figured out where I'm going to put them yet. But, I'll find somewhere.

Christine

• solstice98
    15 years ago

I'm probably too late, but you have email, Tom!

kate

• tomncath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Kate, you're not too late. I still have some seeds of most varieties...CYE.

Tom

• mizadventure
    15 years ago

I planted three seeds each of the Metik Painted, White, and Dark Green melon/cukes and the bottle gourd Asia short. Wow! I planted them less than a week ago and 11 of the 12 have germinated and are 2+ inches tall! Thank you so much again for sharing these!

• tomncath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My pleasure, I planted seed about three weeks ago and so far so good. I think everyone else is ahead of us, here's hoping for good results!

Tom

• jctsai8b
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Do you have any update of your seeds recently? Thanks

• wanna_run_faster
    8 years ago

Tom, did you get in on the UF trial tomatoes? Just cause you are so generous to everyone else :} if you want, I'll send you half of the two varieties I got.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz