Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenniferinfl

Should my peach trees be blooming by now?

jenniferinfl
10 years ago

I'm in Central Florida, by Deland, and both of them are supposed to be Floridaprince. They weren't looking real great right before they went dormant, so I'm beginning to wonder if maybe they just didn't make it especially since the ones I see at Lowe's are already starting to bloom.

How long should I wait and see? I planted them late in the season (July or August?) last year and then started a new job so I really didn't take good enough care of them. I want to replace them soon if they are dead to let the new ones have more of a shot of making it.

On the bright side, didn't realize that figs went dormant (impulse buy), thought that the fig I bought had died over winter. But, what do you know, it has leaves again today.. lol

Comments (10)

• TampaBull
    10 years ago

Hmmm... In my area, we've had 236 chill hours, your area had about 388, so that should have been enough.

My peach trees (Florida Prince, Tropic Beauty, Florida Grande, and Tropic Sno) have all bloomed and have just started to produce fruit bulbs.

The other younger trees (Florida Belle and Florida Glo, Florida Grade) are starting to leafing out.

I have another Florida Belle that was already in bad shape, which is still bare. Its still green when I scratch the bark, but the trunk has what looks like open bruises. I think I'm going to wait as it looks (...or just my hopeful imagination...) like growth is appearing on the stems/trunk.

The trees do need a period of warm temps to kick them out of dormancy. The weather has been weird up north with late cold temps, which may have messed with the tree's internal clocks.

I'd say if they're still green under the bark, and you could wait a month.. go for it.

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

Jennifer,

That is pretty slow......my 7 peach trees are awake, have bloomed and finished and have peaches on them now. Where did you get the trees from?

• jenniferinfl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got them from Lowe's. They really didn't get great care last year. There are still branches which are green under the bark, but it seems like they should have started leafing by now.

I really thought the peaches would be more trouble-free than the avocado and mango I bought. They all got similar neglect, but the mango is blooming and the avocado has a bunch of new growth.

I'm wondering if by chance they were mislabeled. They were from Simpson nursery and had the Floridaprince tag on them from the nursery, but who knows, could've been switched.

These ones are pretty small, not sure if size makes a difference in when they leaf out.

• thetradition
    10 years ago

Wait a year.

I'm in Deltona. I have a FlordaPrince obtained from Home Depot. Planted it when dormant two years ago (this will be its third season). This is the first year any blooms set fruit.

Conversely, I have a UFO peach that has been in the ground less than a year that is producing.

Similarly, I have another peach tree that is approaching its second season and I had to thin like crazy to have big peaches in its first year and this year. I ordered a "Tropic Snow" from the nursery but it's not that because the flesh isn't white. I think it's a "Tropic Beauty" sent by mistake, but it really is a beauty. The flowers are showy and production is outstanding.

Anyway, I think the FlordaPrince just needs a few seasons to get going.

One thing that's important to note, YOU MUST ACTIVELY CARE FOR PEACH TREES. They need lots of water, they're very hungry, they need to be pruned at least annually in a very specific way, and the fruit needs to be thinned when they produce. They are NOT care-free trees. You WILL get disease and insect pressure if you don't care for them.

This post was edited by TheTradition on Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 19:15

• jenniferinfl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think I may just preemptively order one replacement as these ones don't have as much as a single leaf and it's already March.

Worst case scenario, I end up with three peach trees, but at least I'll have one to work with.

Is there any place in particular that people recommend?

• laura1
    10 years ago

I got my "Sun" (florida sun?) peach at a local nursery. This peach is one of UFs. I planted it in the fall of 2012 and got peaches spring 2013. The tree has grown in leaps and bounds in the last year. Has quarter sized fruit now. I'm happy with this variety but I don't see anyone else growing it.

• TampaBull
    10 years ago

Jennifer.. any update?

My Floridabelle peach I mentioned in my previous post as well as a Ruby Plum that I was about to toss out have just started to break out today. They each have a few sets leaves starting to come out.

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

That is amazing....I wonder why it is so late?

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

That is amazing....I wonder why it is so late?

• thonotorose
    10 years ago

My Florida King is just now leafing out. It is on its third spring. No blooms at all.

Unfortunately, my Tropic Beauty was stripped of all its walnut sized fruits three days after I thinned it. Rotten squirrels!!!