Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardencraze

Silvias Garden Party

gardencraze
10 years ago

I have a few rooted potted 'Yacons' does any body want one??

Thank you Christine!

Carmen

Comments (32)

• whgille
    10 years ago

Hi Carmen

I am glad that you are coming to the party!

Do you have a Bravo supermarket near you? they sell the dried yacon leaves and syrup too. I have not tried that suppose to be medicinal for diabetes. I keep a small patch in the garden and I am going to thin it again soon.

Silvia

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    10 years ago

You are welcome Carmen. As you are seeing the yucon is easy to grow.

Silvia, I do have a Bravo nearby. Interesting about the yucon -I'll have to check out the yacon products you mentioned to learn more about them. Hopefully, I will be attending your Garden Party next month. :)

Christine

• gardencraze
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Silvia I have a Guanabana/Sour Sop seedling, do you want it?

• ibarbidahl
    10 years ago

Being positive and saying I would love one, and I will be there to get it... now to get my driving privalages back from the Dr.... ugh.

Barbie

• whgille
    10 years ago

Hi Christine

I will be happy to see you at the party! When you go to Bravo it is a good idea to check some products and see if you like them. They have a lot of medicinal herbs on top of the produce section, one that I like is called cedron. In the frozen section they have imported products like ulloco (a tuber that when cooked is like okra but in my opinion better tasting) fruits like tamarillo (tree tomato) naranjilla (lulo), a big berry (mora) is something like blackberry that can be used for juices or ice cream. Big kernel corn. If you are not familiar with the oriental sweet potatoes try them too, they are the best! white flesh and purple skin, very sweet and I use them for making my pets meals, for us too. This season they are huge! I cut them up in chunks and roast them for about 1 hour.

Carmen, please save me the seedling, I love guanabana! I don't know if it does well in cooler weather like here. I just bought guanabana ice cream in Whole Foods.
    This is a true story, when I went to WF, outside in a cart I found a loaded women's wallet, I gave it to the manager. Then after a few days I went to Bravo and the man that was paying before me left his wallet, I also gave it to the manager. I hope that those people got them...

Hi Barbie

I hope that you are okay and can make it to the party! sending my best wishes to you.

Silvia

• gardencraze
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Barbie, just invite a friend with a nice car and share the gas.

Shine brite
    Carmen

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    10 years ago

Silvia - I haven't been inside our local Bravo in a while but I will the next time I get a chance. What you told me about sounds good especially about the Oriental sweet potatoes. I love sweet potatoes. Do you grow that variety?

Christine

• whgille
    10 years ago

Barbie, listen to Carmen, she always has good ideas.:)

Carmen, the link that you sent me has so many creative things to do, hopefully I can try some for the party.

Christine, like I said I use the oriental sp for a lot of the pet's meals, I could not grow them fast enough for the amount that I use. They are easy to root same like the orange ones. I grew the past season the Okinawa sp, purple skin and purple flesh, it has a lot of nutrition but it is drier and starchier. I like these roasted with spices and salt.

Silvia

• gardencraze
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Silvia, do you have any slips for that 'Okinawa sp'?
    I would sure love to try that one, I went to the big Oriental market in Pinehills and found these very small SP that are so stinkin good, really purple inside and lite brown outside, a little pricey but worth it. I have tried over and over to root them but they are sprayed pretty heavy so they don't root...shame.

• whgille
    10 years ago

Carmen, don't forget the day of the party I am counting on your help.
    I kept some purple sweet potatoes to root them, I will save some for you, I also have turmeric roots.

Silvia

• vegasqueen
    10 years ago

Hi Silvia if you have any extra seedlings to share I would love to have some. Your plants are always so healthy and delicious. Thanks

• whgille
    10 years ago

Thank you Maxine, I will save some seedlings for you.

If anybody is interested, I also have cattle panels, some are full size and others are cut in half.

Silvia

• vegasqueen
    10 years ago

Silvia the cattle panels would be a great addition to my garden. Thanks

• gardencraze
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Silvia I can use some cattle panel too , so if you have any left keep me in mind.

Thanx, looking forward to the best party ever.
    Carmen

• whgille
    10 years ago

Maxine, one and a half cattle panel are yours.
    Carmen, one and a half cattle panel are yours.
    You girls can pick them up before the party, you will need a man to help, the size of the big one is 16 ft. Send me an email when you are ready to pick them up.

Looking forward to the party, it is always fun!

Silvia

• garden_gal_fl (z10)
    10 years ago

Carmen, I would love a yacon if you still have one.

Silvia,
    I would love to try the Okinama SP and tumeric if you still have any seedlings/cuttings.

• whgille
    10 years ago

Garden Gal, I will save the the purple sp and a turmeric root for you.

Silvia

• MariaTR
    10 years ago

Hi Silvia I was wondering if your party is private or public. I'm in Orlando, Fl and I will be hosting my own Plant/Seed Swap Saturday April 26th.

Let me know I love to join you.

• ibarbidahl
    10 years ago

I have some of the Okinowain Sweets. Not too many but a few. They are easy to take cuttings and reroot the vine during growth. I got one this year that was several pounds, and many smaller ones. (pic)

Barbie~

• whgille
    10 years ago

Maria, we have a nice group of gardeners that meet for a few years already, the garden parties are in spring and fall and is open to everyone that enjoys gardening, we welcome new friends. You can bring plants, cuttings, seeds to trade if you have them. It is required to bring either a side dish, or an appetizer or something to drink.

Hi Barbie, you did good with those purple sp, they make good fries. It is banana and loquat season in my garden, I am keeping busy with the harvest.

Silvia

• MariaTR
    10 years ago

Thank you Silvia I love to join you and your guests.

Please e-mail me your address and for sure I'll join you.

Once again thank you.

• garden_gal_fl (z10)
    10 years ago

Would anyone like some luffa, malabar spinach, or purple podded yardlong beans? I am starting some today and could bring some to the party.

• User
    10 years ago

Luffa here......had that in s. Fla when Andrew hit, Luffa a mile away......:)

• Truscifi
    10 years ago

Silvia, if you have any extra turmeric I would love some. I just started taking it as a supplement and would rather use fresh if I can grow it myself!

Garden Gal, I would also love some of the malabar spinach and the yardlong beans. In past years they have both done well for me through the hot season, especially the spinach.

• whgille
    10 years ago

Truscifi, I will save some turmeric for you.

Silvia

• jctsai8b
    10 years ago

Wow, what a wonderful garden party, I wish we could have one in Jacksonville area.

• abnorm
    10 years ago

I'm so bummed we won't be able to attend the party on Saturday.....

But I've promised some plants so I'll drop them off at Silvia's before the party......

Scotch Bonnet peppers

Habernaro peppers

....... and I've been harvesting some "mature" pups from our Staghorn ferns.............dougandpam

• whgille
    10 years ago

JCTsai, maybe one day you can make the trip and join us in one of our parties, they are always fun!

Doug and Pam, we are going to miss you! Those Staghorn pups look good for some lucky recipients and your peppers are always well received. Thank you for thinking about the party and your generosity.

Silvia

• gardencraze
    Original Author
    10 years ago

GardenGal, I've got Yacon for you, would love some purple yard longs.
    Does anybody have sweet snap peas?
    So exited, It's going to be a great day.
    Carmen

• abnorm
    10 years ago

"Carmen........... Does anybody have sweet snap peas?"

I'll pack some in a ZipLoc with my bin....Look for it.....doug

• fairyblooms
    10 years ago

Hi Silvia......I will be attending the garden party this Saturday. Carmen told me about it and I'm so excited....it will be my first in person one I've ever gone too......can you tell me what time to be there? I'm trying to find it in the forum......thank you! :)

• whgille
    10 years ago

Hi Fairyblooms, looking forward to meet you this Saturday, it is going to be a nice day weather wise.
    It starts at 11 am, I am going to put the details in the other thread for the party.
    If anybody need directions or gets lost the day of the party, please call the house number.

Silvia

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner