Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
timberloin

Wild Everglades Tomato

timberloin
15 years ago

Hi,

I am looking for Lemongrass seeds and wild everglades tomato seeds.

I posted this in the seed forum, figure I would have better luck on this forum for the tomato!

I am new at this and do not have much to trade.

Datil Pepper----Hot!

Yard Long Bean, see link for info:

http://www.echotech.org/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=52#yardlong

Patchouli- Just something fun to grow!

Thanks,

Shannon

Comments (13)

• coffeemom
    15 years ago

email me w/address for everglades tomato seeds

sjkdavis at bellsouth dot net

• an_ill-mannered_ache
    15 years ago

friends don't let friends grow matt's everglade... i already have seedlings all over my garden.

• timberloin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Are the wild everglades actually Matt's???

• coffeemom
    15 years ago

I had both at one time and couldn't tell the difference. What ever it is, it's growing in my yard and I love getting seedlings, but that's just me.

• hallandalegal
    15 years ago

Thanks to Bill in this forum, we are growing the Wild Everglades tomatoes here in Hollywood, Florida. They are making tomatoes which are larger than we expected. I do not think these are the Matt's type. We don't have any ripe ones yet, but lots of green ones. In about another month, we will have plenty of seeds to share. These make large bush type plants. They are sturdy. I feed them Mater Magic, maybe that is why the tomatoes are larger than expected. My neighbor is feeding hers plenty of Miracle Gro for tomatoes. (HERS are much larger than mine....boo hoo...) We both have a LOT of tomatoes forming. My Tiny Tim and other tomatoes are getting beaten down by the heat. But the wild tomatoes show no problems either with insects or drought. I do water twice a day. Email if you want to visit. There are NO ripe ones yet, but if you want, you can see the plants and how they grow. For seeds, you need to wait about one more month. We do not sell tomatoes or seeds. We will give them to you.

• whgille
    15 years ago

Shannon
    I have a variety of currant tomatoes. One of them being the Everglades that Tomcath sent me. I have others too, including my own Hawaiian currant.

I have my Hawaiian growing up at a cattle panel, this makes it for easy picking.

Whoever comes to my house, I let them try it and they all like them. They are tiny and I eat them like grapes.

I can send you seeds if you are interested, send me an email.

Silvia

• maggiepearl
    15 years ago

I started my Lemongrass from a couple of pieces I bought at the oriental market. I picked out a couple of fresh looking pieces that looked like they might grow roots and stuck them in a glass of water on the window sill for a few weeks, then planted them in the middle of a whiskey barrel. (I believe my husbands words were "That is never going to grow, Mag...") It's filled the barrel.

I will certainly send you (or anyone else that would like some)a piece. E-mail me maggiepearl@comcast.net. In zone 10, I would put it in a pot...seems like the sort of plant you would regret planting in the yard!

I would love to try the patchouli and the everglades tomato..when you all have seeds!

Maggie

• hallandalegal
    15 years ago

Hi, my first wild Everglades tomato is ripening now. Mine are only the size of a large grape, BUT MY NEIGHBOR who is using Miracle Gro for tomatoes is getting wild tomatoes six times bigger than mine. I use Mater Magic and it does push the plants but I have to start laying on the Miracle Gro. She uses the big $6 bags with the picture of tomatoes on the front. I am too ashamed to show her mine. She is growing them in large containers and in the ground. I think the Miracle Gro is the secret. BUT I will be happy with a few thousand of these fat ones even if they are only the size of a big grape. These are not grape tomatoes. These are the Everglades ones from the seeds Bill kindly sent.
    Soon, I will have seeds for anyone who wants them. Now you know what to fertilize them with. I hope I can still coax mine to get as big as my neighbor's but I have to run to buy several big bags. smile...And anyone who wants to see them growing is welcome to come here. I live in Hollywood. You can look over the fence and see my neighbor's large wild tomatoes. I think she has success with everything because she sings to her plants....

• kremon_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

Hello, writing from Lakeland, Florida, moved here 6 months ago. I was looking for tomatoes that could survive the summer in this area and found this thread. the last message is from last year, but somebody might have seeds to give/sell?
    Thank you.

• treeyaya_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Just purchased my first Everglades tomato plant. She has several green ones aleady. But all the stems in this pot are gathered up to one stake. Any advice on staking this plant? Thanks in advance!

• leelee_2008
    13 years ago

I have yard long beans seeds available if anyone wants some, just contact me thru gw

• johnweh
    13 years ago

I found this listing on Craigslist for Everglades tomatoes in West Palm Beach.

Here is a link that might be useful: Everglades Tom

• postlethwait
    12 years ago

I just ordered some seeds from the West Palm Beach area, I found it listed on Craigslist. We just moved to the Lehigh Acres area (zone 10) and I am glad to see that this tomato seems to produce during the hot months. I planted some in early March when we moved here but they are already dying. Just too hot!! Has everyone been happy with their tomatoes??
    Please let me know. Can't wait to plant this coming fall.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm