Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shear_stupidity

Heads up...

shear_stupidity
11 years ago

In case you didn't know... and a reminder for those of you who know but may have forgotten...

Perlite doesn't weigh anything.
So if you have it in, say, a cardboard box on your patio...
With, perhaps, a red Solo cup in it for scooping...
On a windy day such as today...
And you turn your back for a second...
Yeah.
That happened.

Comments (4)

• morningloree
    11 years ago

Hi,
    I can say the same for dried spaghnum moss!! Have you ever opened a box from a mailorder nursery filled with styrofoam peanuts and went to water the plants that just arrived? It looked like it snowed in part of our yard, nobody but me was amused, until I nearly poked my eye out collecting it from under a scrub palm. I must have irritated the spirits in charge of annoying things that can happen in the yard.

• shear_stupidity
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was gonna say "It looked like it had snowed!!!"

Speaking of poking your eye out, I have an "issue" with my corneas. They just ASK for trouble! (Especially the left one)

1. I was born with 'photophobic' eyes. My eye doctors have all said they've never seen this degree of light sensitivity in a brown-eyed person. So I wear sunglasses a LOT... just apparently not when I should be...

2. When I was in high school, I brought home a newly hatched baby chick in a shoebox to keep overnight. It had some problem that caused my eyeballs to literally peel. If you want to freak the freak out, watch your eyeballs begin to peel.

3. I bought an in-home sunlamp once, back in 1992. While reading the instructions for how to turn it on and off, I looked up and turned it on... saw it start to glow... then turned it off and kept reading the instructions. That night, I woke up feeling like I had sand in my eyes. Went to the emergency room and found I'd burned my retinas.

4. About 3 years ago, I was putting on mascara and scratched my cornea with the mascara wand. It was bad enough that I had to wear an eye patch for two days. My eye doctor can still see the scars as of last month (at 12 o'clock.

5. Last year, I was placing plants around the flower beds where I thought I might want them planted. As I bent down to put a plant under the Gardenia, it gouged me in the eye doing pretty bad damage to my left cornea. Thank God corneas heal quickly, but I still had to wear a patch for several days and was on serious pain killers. Those two scars are still there, too. (At "3 o'clock and 6 o'clock")

6. Six months ago, I was refilling the in-line chlorinator for my pool. Dropped in a new tablet, and chlorine water spouted straight up and into my eye. Chlorine HURTS.

7. Around Christmas I was reading the newspaper and scratched my left cornea while turning the page. In case you're keeping track, this scar goes right through my iris at an angle of 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock.

8. Two days ago, I was eating potato chips and somehow when I crunched, a piece of chip flew up and toward my face and into my left eye. Salt HURTS.

9. Today I was doing yard stuff outside. While working under my grapefruit tree, a flower petal fell off the tree, caught the wind, and blew into my left eye. Flipping genius.

• morningloree
    11 years ago

As if peeling eyeballs wasn't enough... Gardening is not for wimps, that's for sure. It's funny a roach in the house will send me screaming on the top of a chair, but once I am outside surrounded by spiders, snakes, and ticks, I "man up." Maybe it's because I walk around with a big shovel and gardening shears.

• shear_stupidity
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's so funny! I'm the same way, I just never thought about it before. The only exception is mosquitoes. (And lubbers) Once they start biting on me, I"m done. I'm going back in.
    I'm one of those people who, if I'm around, the mosquitoes have no interest in anyone else. To a mosquito, I am a Thermos.

This post was edited by shear_stupidity on Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 12:07