Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What the Heck kind of bromiliad did my PO plant?

Posted by alys_esmond 9b Orlando (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 3, 12 at 21:39

Under my magnolia tree is a ring of what looks like pineapple plants. Today I found one flowering (inflorescing?):

From Garden

Any thoughts on what this is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What the Heck kind of bromiliad did my PO plant?

PO = Parole Officer? Photobucket

o

Ha, ha, love_the_yard!

Previous Owner... the fine lady who planted sun-loving plants in the shade (bougainvillea under a NW-facing porch, blue sky vine at the base of a live oak tree) , shade loving plants in full sun (Camellia in the middle of the yard, oyster plant out by the mailbox) , dry-loving plants in moisture (crown of thorns in a hole beside a sprinkler) and EVERYTHING too close to fences or walls (Crepe Myrtle trunk 3' from the house).

o

It sure looks like a pineapple to me. You'll find out soon enough. If it is a pineapple it will take another 5 months to ripen.

o

I agree. That pineapple will be the sweetest you have ever tasted.

o

Nope, that's not a pineapple (there's no crown of leaves at the top). Also, there is a lack of spines on the leaf margins (another indicator of species in the genus Ananas). I think it's some species of Bromelia, such as the native pinguin.

o

It looks just like my pineapples. I've had a few pop out in the past week or so. Some have spines on the leaves and some are smooth. The one on the smooth leaf variety is more pink than red. I guess the crown of leaves comes later.

o

Hmmm,

guess I'll have to wait and see how the fruit develops.

I know it looks a little different from my actual pineapple tops I planted last year, those certainly have attack spines, but these guys have spines further up the leaves.

It's got more flowers today, a very pretty purple!

o

Update!

It's a pineapple!
I'm so very pleased.
Over the past week or so it's gone from purplish, to dark green, and yesterday I saw the bright yellow.

Wandered over to look at it and could smell it... mmmmm!
Noticed that it was beginning to fall off its stalk, so picked it this morning.

I think I'll give it a day or two to completely ripen though.

I've finally beaten the squirrels to something!

o

What a beautiful pineapple!

o

I agree...that is an absolute stunner of a pineapple! Let us know how it tastes.

o

Don't harvest it too soon- mine always tasted the sweetest when I waited until the stem bent.

o

Hi
You were right both ways . Pineapple are a type of Brom as well as a dozen kinds of pineapple. That one is looking good!! gary

o

Drooling here! Enjoy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here