Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Avocado and Mango Tree question

Posted by mrs_tlc 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 21:49

Hello Everyone. It has been forever since I've been on this forum. I have a couple of silly questions that I know you all will have answers for.

A couple of years ago a friend gave us 2 mango "volunteers" and an avocado "volunteer" from their yard. I know they say it can take years for these types of trees to bear fruit if they're not grafted. We were going to try grafting them this year, but low and behold they ALL have flowers on them!! Soooo, I am assuming that means they will produce fruit this year?? Is there anything I should do? Fertilize, extra water, etc.?

TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Avocado and Mango Tree question

Most fruit trees grown from seed will take around 8 to 10 years before they bear fruit. Grafted fruit trees can have fruit in a year or two. Since you have trees already grown from seed and they are flowering, leave them alone. You probably won't get any fruit to set though for a few more years. Be patient.

o

My home grown avacados have been in the ground 6 years this year. One produced last year. After flowering profusely it gave me precisely 3 avocados. LOL, better than nothing. The other tree looks like it might flower this year. I currently have 1 homegrown and 1 grafted tree in bloom, and 1 homegrown and 1 grafted not blooming.

Go figure. It's more to do with the Type (A or B) that you have growing on when it begins to flower.

Expect very little fruit the first year as during the maturation of the fruit the tree will drop what it can not handle.

Water like always, fertilize lightly (if you overfertilize you might stimulate green growth and the tree will abort more fruit) and cross your fingers!

Can't wait to see the fruit of your labor.

Barbie

o

Also "if" it does fruit there's a very good chance the fruits will be very fibrous/stringy unless the mother plant is "polyembryonic" and you will have a much better chance of it being a clone. Unfortunately, just because the tree blooms doesn't necessarily mean it will hold fruits (like Fawnridge mentioned) especially since its seed grown...but you never know? It might surprise you.

Check out this great link...lots of good info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Mangoes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here