Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnjsr

Time to plant in 9A?

johnjsr
14 years ago

I'm looking at the 10 day forecast, the last frost date probabilities, The Farmers Almanac, a Ouija board, Tarot cards and a crystal ball, trying to decide when to set out my tomatoes, squash, cukes, eggplants and peppers. Next week starting monday looks promising. 70s daytime 50s night. Of course that can change. I'm looking for advice from you experienced gardeners in this area. Thanks for your input.

john

Comments (13)

• User
    14 years ago

once the last biker heads north, i start fertilizing and planting. very scientific!

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    14 years ago

Winter is over when the Canadians slam their trunk lids and rush onto I95, heading home. Spring begins when the weatherman (that idiot that continues to call everything "tiny little" or "little tiny") starts complaining about the heat index because it makes his hairpiece slip.

You can use either of those two indicators much more reliably than any of the ones you mentioned.

And, by the way, Publix has veggies for sale right now, even with frost warnings posted for the whole subtropical state tonight.

• kennyn
    14 years ago

I'm planting this weekend.

• dghays
    14 years ago

I planted last weekend, and a few things in some pots a couple weeks ago. Usually late Feb is ok, but this isn't a normal winter at all.

Gary

• imagardener2
    14 years ago

Tomatoes have been outside for 2 weeks and will be put into their big girl pots next week, too busy this week. This is really my biggest crop.

I started some spinach seeds a few days ago, knowing it's late but anyway...
    Collards, cabbage and miscellaneous greens are loving the cool weather.

I have so little luck with squash and cukes. Like Charlie Brown and the football do I really want to keep trying?

I'd love to grow green beans, have plenty of seeds but the whiteflies keep me from doing it. They LOVED my beans the last time growing them. Grrr.

Denise

• User
    14 years ago

i'm serious....."bike week" gone, weather warms up. not drastically, but no more 30's. going cold tonight...37 in deland. bike week ends sunday. fawnridge, i found a speedo on the way home from work! must be heading north!

• chara2
    14 years ago

Ha-ha-ha! You guys are just too funny!

I'm in North-East of Florida and will start setting up my tomatoes in their permanent buckets on the next weekend. I think it will be safe.

• johnjsr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK, wallisadi, I'll go by the "Cabbage Patch" in Samsula Saturday night. If the coleslaw wrestling is over, and the band's not playing "Born to be Wild", I'll start planting. Good thinking. ;>)

john

• featherhoof
    14 years ago

you guys are funny

• sharbear50
    14 years ago

Darn,I should have waited to put my plants in the ground. You all are much smarter than I am. Bike week ending..? I will remmember that next year! LOL

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    14 years ago

John - I planted bush beans, pole beans, and some lima beans yesterday in the vegetable garden. I also planted seeds - in small pots - summer squash, zucchinis, and winter squashes. Tomorrow I will plant cukes and similar seeds in small pots too. After they sprout the weather should be warm enough to plant them in the ground. I am going to wait a little longer to plant the tomato and pepper seedlings, perhaps this weekend because I like the night temps to be a little warmer. Hope this helps.

Christine

• johnjsr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Christine, I was hoping you would respond since we are not far apart and you have the experiance in this area. I jumped the gun on sowing my tomato and pepper seedlings, so they have been in the greenhouse since Jan. I take them out on every warm day, but there haven't been too many of those. I have cukes and zukes ready to plant, in fact I have some already in containers, lugged in and out of the GH every day lately. I've managed to protect my bananas and papayas so I'm looking forward to a new season. I value your advice and I will probably be asking for more. :>)
    Thanks john

• ljlloyd
    14 years ago

Your "greenhoused" toms and peps should be fine, I'd imagine. Now had you put them out in Jan then you might have been jumping the gun quite a bit. Wish I had started a lot earlier but this is only my 2nd year growing and last year I bought mostly transplants from Home Depot. But judging from some of you guys I'm not too too late.