Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bye-bye winter

Posted by gardengimp 9B Seminole Cnty FL (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 23:08

RIP winter that wasn't a winter. Hello spring dressing up as summer.

I was out hand watering this morning because everything was so parched. Before long I was dripping in sweat. My salad crops are looking very sad. Not much more tenderleaf lettuce left I suspect.

On the other hand, today I spied popping up the very first day of spring:
- the season first pollinated seminole pumpkin
- a batch of black jungle butterbeans getting close to harvest
- the first of the summer amaranth poking little heads above ground

Oh, and breakfast was from the vines this morning as I watered. Cherry & current tomatoes, snap beans, raspberries, and a broccoli sprout here and there.

Speaking of broccoli, has anybody grown purple sprouting broccoli here? I have these stunningly beautiful plants that are over 3' tall with no sign of sprouts. I keep hoping some sprouts will show up before it gets too hot for them.

Happy Spring everybody!

~dianne

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple Sprouting Broccoli

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bye-bye winter

• Posted by jason83 Zone 9 (North Florid (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 21, 12 at 0:42

Our winter was just enough to kill back everything to the ground, only for it to begin returning a few weeks later! I think we had 4 nights of at or just below freezing temperatures. And now it's borderline hot!

o

Yep, Jason - same here in Panama City, Fl. - we had plants blooming all winter, but it got just cold enough to turn a few fleshy-stemmed plants to black mush. They are leafing back out now, but still look awful. We had about a week of 'cold' weather.

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 21, 12 at 8:34

Hi Dianne

Happy harvesting! And I agree with you, it is getting very hot...
I grew the purple sprouting broccoli and while it produced shoots, they were not enough to justify the place in the garden, took a long time when it was colder, now it just maybe too hot.

Silvia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here