Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slopfrog

Mango never flowered?

slopfrog
11 years ago

I have an Edward mango that I put in the ground last year. Before that it was in a pot and flowered profusely. It had two flushes of panicles last year, actually. Since being in the ground it grew reasonably well and then stopped growing during the winter as I expected.

Now It's got a kind of grayish tan hue to it, and it has not flowered or grown at all. It almost seems dormant. It's well mulched with compost under the mulch, and is getting sufficient water.

Anybody know what's going on? Ive never seen or heard of a mango doing this. Thanks.

Comments (5)

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Hi Slopfrog...not an expert but while researching Edward mango I came across (below) from Pine Island Nursery...according to them, they rate Edward mango having a "poor" rating under production. Might be one of those mango varieties that only produce every other year or so?

I belong to another fruit forum and several of the members that have this variety has commented its a "shy" bearer..missing a year or if it fruits...not too many on the tree.. but has been described as an excellent tasting mango ...Good luck! Maybe its concentrating on growing new roots and growth and will produce for you next year...

Here is a link that might be useful: Edward Mango...PIN

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Here's a You Tube video on Edward mango...he also mentions it " It being famous for not producing too many fruits" but being an excellent tasting mangoes...One of these days I would love to try one :o)

Here is a link that might be useful: Dr Crane...You Tube

• jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a )
    11 years ago

Where & in what zone is your mango tree located ?
    I am not an expert either but can relate my observations.
    Starting in 1978, I had the occassion to travel extensively all over tthe world for many years. During that time stopped in the Philippines frequently, a place noted for their mango plantations. All of the locals who were growing them told me the trees bore fruit every other year, no exceptions.
    Here in SW Florida I only see that occur infrequently. Right now, out of the four mature ( 5 yrs in gnd, 11 - 15 ' tall ), trees in my yard now, only the Kent has thumbed his nose at producing any fruit this year, after a very nice harvest last year.
    Again, consider myself pretty much a novice, but all my mango trees get the same TLC ( mulch, organic compost, 3/yr copper fungicide sprays, selective pruning, white fly traps, etc ), so if
    one tree decides to take a rest, I don't get excited,..instead just go with the flow. Am sure that next year the Kent willl come out to play with all his other pals. If not,..then I'll start getting concerned.
    Actually, when I first started growing mango trees, in the Upper Keys, ( where everything grows ), I first planted a 4 ft Glenn, then a year later, a NDM. The Glenn, from the get go, was sprouting many, vigorous pannicles/fruit. But the NDM did nothing for TWO years. It grew 18 inches a year and looked healthy for sure, constantly evergreen and vibrant looking,..but no fruit.
    Being young and dumb, I just shrugged and looked forward. The third year that tree went bananas,..forgive the pun. It seriously challenged the nearby Glenn for the most fruit production !
    So I think, with mango trees, we must be patient ! lol

This post was edited by jofus on Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 16:07

• slopfrog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry, I forgot to post my location... Port St Lucie, 9B.

Thanks everyone. I guess it's not as unusual as I thought. I know Edward is considered to be a poor producer but I sure hope it doesn't have a skip-year habit... That'll cause it to be replaced! It's still a young tree so I wasn't planning on letting it produce anyways. But every other young mango I've seen goes nuts with flowers.

Mostly it's the weird brownish grey hue to the leaves in conjunction with bo flowers that had me concerned.

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

I'm not sure what that brownish grey hue might be? If you wanted to spray the leaves with a product by Southern Ag. Citrus Nutritional spray (link below with a picture) I use it myself and gives the tree the minors it needs. Just make sure you spray it early evening around 6 pm (when the sun is almost setting) so it doesn't burn the leaves...that way it will give it 12 hours to fully dry before the sun hits it during the day...its a great Foliar spray and gives the trees the minor elements it needs...I spray it a couple of times a year...I also use it on my young Citrus trees..make sure its not flowering when you spray it or it will kill the blooms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Ag Citrus Nutritional