Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

Bought a few trees.....

jane__ny
11 years ago

Hope we didn't make a mistake. We went to a Tropical Fruit Tree sale which was held for Habitat for Humanity. Being new to Florida, we walked around trying to get advice about all the different fruit trees. Wasn't easy, there was only one person per category of fruit tree.

Wound up buying an Avocado, Mango, Tangelo, Fig and Lemon.

Came home and looked up the various trees to see what cultural requirements and discovered Avocados grow very big, Mango's grow tall and wide.

We have a small back yard but a larger front and side yard. How would either of those trees look on a front lawn?? I checked with our HOA and we're allowed to plant trees on the lawn but she was surprised we bought trees which grow so large.

I'm not sure what they look like either. The photos online only show the leaves and fruit. I can't find pictures of the whole tree.

My hubby says we don't have to worry because we won't live long enough to worry about them outgrowing our property!

Any advice on what we should do. I'll attach a picture of the front of our house.

There is 34 ft to the right of the house to the property line. I was thinking of planting either tree somewhere in there. That's a southern exposure. The front lawn (Palm trees) faces West.

{{gwi:6422}}

{{gwi:6421}}

The last pic was taken before we moved in and painted...thus a different color.

Thanks,
Jane

Comments (16)

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

I understand that the growers keep these trees pruned much shorter like they do the citrus. My haden magoe we keep at about 20ft and prune the sides to keep the width in check too.

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    11 years ago

You're prevented from putting trees in the lawn... but what about expanding that bed a tad where that narrow connection strip is and putting the tangelo or lemon between the palms? It would add color (when you have fruit) and contrast to the bed.

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We are 'allowed' to plant on the lawn. My concern is how these trees grow and look. Are they nice looking trees? Would you plant them in the front of a house?

Jane

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

Only the fig will go deciduous, they rest will keep their leaves all year and should look pretty. ;o)

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Jane, there are several Mango trees that are Dwarf or semi dwarf, what variety did you purchase. I have a few mango trees that are appx. 6 years old, I prune them yearly (or the freeze does it for me :o(...the tallest I have right now is about 6 ft.

You can keep Mango trees size at around 10-15ft with yearly pruning. Its much easier to pick the fruits when the tree is not so tall.

Personally I wouldn't plant Fruit trees in the front yard, unless you don't mind everyone "stealing or helping" themselves to the fruit..but that's totally your call

Here's my 6 year old Glenn Mango (appx 6ft tall)...Good luck with your new trees!

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, that's a bushy tree. I can see how wide they get.

These are the names of the trees I bought:
    Mango - Harvest Moon Mango
    Avocado - Marcus Pumpkin Avocado
    Citrus - Minneola Tangelo 'Honey Bell'
    Bearss Lemon (Sunkist Lemon)

I'm assuming the Citrus stay on the small side. It is the Avocado and Mango which has us concerned. How would they look planted on a front lawn. The Mango looks attractive, how does an Avocado tree look?? Is it an attractive shade-type tree?

Thanks again,
    Jane

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Mango trees can get Huge and tall if not kept in check...

My neighbor has a 'Honey Bell' I took this picture today to show you how big his is...its appx 12-15 ft tall and probably 10-12ft wide but I don't think he trims his tree?

Below is a You Tube video I found on your 'Harvest Moon' Mango...from that video it looks to be a very large tree...

Sorry the picture is not very clear...

Here is a link that might be useful: Harvest Moon Mango...You Tube

• thetradition
    11 years ago

Yes, honeybells get huge. Here's mine. That's me in the photo standing next to an 8' ladder.

• HydroPapa
    11 years ago

Thinking about a fruit tree for the side of the house. What varieties of "Dwarf" would you think would be "Almost Foolproof" ? I live in Land O Lakes, the exposure I'm talking about gets morning sun. I'd like to keep it under 7 or 8 feet or so... I love mango, papaya, fig, and a lot of other fruits :)

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Dydropapa...try growing Red lady Papaya (shouldn't take up too much room and should do fine on the side of the house, there are other varieties that should do well. Mango trees need as much sun as you can give it so it will fruit well. Google Pickering,Cogshall, Angie. There's no foolfproof mango but with yearly pruning these will be a little easier to keep trimmed and kept at a reasonable size...

List of Condo Mango from Pine Island...
    Condo Mango The only one on this list I wouldn't recommend is the Lancetilla...the tree gets pretty big and the fruits gets HUGE but the taste from what I've read is the not the best...

Here is a link that might be useful: 2013 Fairchild Curator's Choice

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

Tradition, that is such a cute picture, LOL!

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yikes! I planted them all but now I think I better move them. I thought the honeybell would not be so big. I put it next to the side of the house. I stuck the avocado is in the middle of the lawn next to the Canary Palm. I think it will be okay except it is close to our water meter and I think I should call the utility to find out if there are any problems planting there/

How about the lemon? Does that get big too?

Thanks for all the great information!

Jane

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    11 years ago

Yeah, one thing that is not often mentioned is the roots of trees. I really wish more sites would provide information on whether a tree's/shrub's roots are likely to seek out and attempt to penetrate a water line. Some hollies and willows are known to do that. I don't know about avocados.

• thetradition
    11 years ago

Lemon trees get big, too. My neighbor has one that's at least 15 - 20 feet tall.

However, it'll take many years and no unfortunate diseases, storms, insect plagues, etc. for a tree to mature and grow to such a size. If you're only planning on staying in your house for 5 or 10 years, then it'll probably be someone else's problem when and if it gets too big.

I've heard about new "dwarf" citrus varieties that are grafted to flying dragon rootstock. Check the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs221

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

I only have a Dwarf Meyer lemon tree so I'm not familiar with the Bearss lemon...I did find this from Jene's Tropical and it says it can be put into a container and maintained at around 6ft, so maybe if kept pruned you can keep it on the smaller side?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bearss Lemon...Jene's Tropical

• TampaBull
    10 years ago

The far majority of trees I have are dwarfs:
    Apple, Avocado, Cherry, Kumquat, Lemon, Limes, Mandarin, Mango, Nectarine, Orange, Peach, Pear, Plum, Tangelo,

GREAT to maintain (water, fertilize, prune) and to harvest.

I have them all in containers. So I'm able to move them around my property when needed.

For example, during freezes, I move them to the corner of my covered porch and have the more prone trees huddled together, which are insulated by surrounding them with the stone fruit trees that thrive in the chill hours.