Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Compost bins

Posted by ebackman 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 30, 12 at 7:06

The vegetable garden has been in my backyard for 3 years now, so it's time to step up & start composting. I spend a fortune to enhance my sand each season. Any suggestions for a compost bin? Don't want to spend a fortune (under $150 would be nice).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Compost bins

I bought a nice tumbler from garden supply about 10 years ago and it has held up well. I think I paid close to $200 for it. It has more than paid for itself. I also us a old trash can that had seen better days and a free huge black nursery pot, almost anything will work, it just depends on where u put it and what you want to look at or what you can hide.

o
RE: Compost bins

I have several very simple large bins made from cylinders of galvanized 1/2" hardware cloth. They've lasted me many years now & are easy to move around. If you're not too concerned about appearance, it's a great inexpensive choice - esp. since it's quite handy to have a couple side by side to shift contents as you harvest the compost. Mine are simply fastened w/ some gardening wire &/or metal shower curtain clips.

& if appearance is a concern - that is, hiding the bin from the casual eye, sometimes wild passionvines grow up over the outside of the bins, attracting butterflies & making them look like a green hedge.

FWIW, you might also find some interesting ideas over on the Soil, Compost & Mulch forum.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here