Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bamboo_rabbit

Pomegranate trip and garden update

bamboo_rabbit
13 years ago

Went down to Lake Alfred yesterday to pick up my and FloralcityLou's University of Florida pomegranate study plants from their research facility. There was a bit of confusion as the varieties that were sent to me were only a partial list of the 60+ cultivars they have. Based on where I live the Dr. picked out 12 cultivars each for Lou and I (he and I got the same varieties). The poms had been pruned tall to allow the commercial farmers when they get their plants to wrap the bark so they can use spray on herbicide. I will allow mine to grow back in to shrubs. Here is a pic of the plants, Lou will stop over and pick up his half today.

{{gwi:833238}}

The blueberries are just entering full swing and had to place supports under some of the plants to hold the fruit up off the ground. I finally got around to counting the plants...57, well it was 57...after seeing some huge and absolutely gorgeous BB plants my neighbors bought at Howards flea market in Homosassa for $10 each I could not resist buying 4 so the total is now 61.

I finally got around to moving the black raspberry suckers to make the 2 new rows and trellising up the 3 original plants. The primocanes they are putting up are HUGE, bigger than my thumb. I topped the new canes at 6 feet tall and they are now branching so it will be a huge harvest next year. The black raspberries are still flowering and the first fruit is just ripening now and looks to be a pretty good harvest. I know some have said they did not like them as the fruit was too small and they are hard......not the case at all. The trick with them is mulch and keep the soil moist. The berries are absolutely delicious, pure sweetness they have no tart element like northern varieties and they are good size.

This is the trellised original 3 plants have moved suckers in between them as well.

Here is one of the two new rows with the posts in but no wire yet.

And finally the fruit...and yes they taste as good as they look.

{{gwi:54901}}

The tomatoes and peppers are setting fruit and have been pulling beets last couple weeks. The kale is still going strong but picked the last of the lettuce on Monday. I did try a new batch of lettuce in the shade next to the bamboo propagation mister so we shall see how it does.

Comments (23)

• KaraLynn
    12 years ago

Everything looks so good and healthy! I really need to get over to your house so that I can see it in person.

Kara

• bamboo_rabbit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It looks better in the pictures as I don't photo the abundant weeds:)

I wanted to list the pomegranate varieties received...if they do well they will need a publicist as the names are less than catchy....

Afganski

Azadi

Desertnyi

Gissarskii Rozovyi

Grenada

Nikitski ranni

Parfyanka

Sakerdze

Salavatski

Shirin Zigar

Sin-Pepe

Vkusnyi

• loufloralcityz9
    12 years ago

Hey BR,
    When I come to pick my poms up, I want you to pronounce each named variety so I won't make any errors in my pronunciation of those names.

(I'm giving you a heads-up so you can practice)
    Lou

• WesN
    12 years ago

Sounds like a bad Russian mob list.

• bamboo_rabbit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lou,

I will work on that:)

Wes,

The Dr. Levin that collected them is Russian so that explains the names lol. A lot of them were collected from Turkmenistan I have not had a chance to research each one yet but it is on my list of things to do.

• BeanLady
    12 years ago

Hello everyone, I'm new to Fl & am wondering how you arrange to get some of these Poms. I want to plant at least 3/4. But I really have the bug & know that I will go waaay overboard.LOL So far I have two small gardens planted. Started too late, but coming from Pa, it's still early for me. We just had our onion snow. I have enjoyed reading all of the posts.
    Florence

• bamboo_rabbit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello Ben lady and welcome. What part of PA do you come from? Far as the poms they come from the University of Florida. They are free though they request a donation of $6 per plant to further their research which is very reasonable. I don't know if it is too late to get in on the plants or not. I ordered mine last November and the first day to pick them up was Monday. If you email me at bamboo_rabbit@hotmail.com I will be happy to give you the Dr's email address.

• loufloralcityz9
    12 years ago

My Russian #8 Pomegranate in bloom

My Wonderful Pomegranate in bloom

The sky was overcast and it got very dark just before it rained, I will re-take the pictures tomorrow.

Lou

• bamboo_rabbit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry BEANlady.

Lou they look great, going to be awhile before the new guys are that size.

• loufloralcityz9
    12 years ago

BR,
    Around three years ago these started as the little sticks like the new ones we just got. You can see they pushed up a lot more sticks from the bottom, so not to worry. That is why they wanted us to plant them 7 feet apart, they fill in quite fast and these are still in buckets.

Lou

• bamboo_rabbit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mine are going in the ground today so I hope the deer will leave them alone.

• loufloralcityz9
    12 years ago

Pom pictures from this morning.
    The Wonderful Pom (it's quite tall)

A closeup of a bloom on the Wonderful Pom Tree

The shorter Russian #8 Pom with it's blooms

The Dwarf Pom with blooms

It is harder to see all the blooms in the pictures, but these pom bushes are loaded with them.

Lou

• jwahlton
    12 years ago

That's so cool that you can get those. I never knew you could get them from UF.

• pnbrown
    12 years ago

Very interesting. Maybe I can get in on that next year. I have one pom tree which I planted 3 years ago and I think it has been mostly frost-killed to the trunk each winter. I don't think it has flowered yet either.

BR, your location looks pretty good, low enough that the perennials get to some moisture but not low enough to flood?

• Truscifi
    12 years ago

Those look amazing! And I'm in Floral City too, so I'm glad to see some other locals. :) Maybe if I pay enough attention here I can eventually have a successful garden, lol!

• bamboo_rabbit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lou,

in that last picture how old is that pom?

Pnbrown,

We never flood or at least have not in the 25 years this neighborhood has existed, or so the neighbors tell me. By law if the water gets too high they open the flood control gates and flood the river.

The water table is about 5 feet down in the front yard and I am sure the sand wicks some moisture up though not sure how far down you would have to dig to hit moist sand.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    12 years ago

BR, I love all of your photos! The water in the background is beautiful. Lake? Those berries look good.

Carol

• loufloralcityz9
    12 years ago

BR,
    The Dwarf pom I've had 5 years, the Wonderful I've had 4 years and the Russian #8 I've had it for 3 years. (and they still are in 5 gallon buckets) They all three were sent bare root at approximately the size of our new UF poms. The poms will try to bear fruit rather young even when small. We should see some blooms on them next spring (depending on the weather) but I would pick them off to put power into growth much like we do for BB plants.

Lou

• pnbrown
    12 years ago

I drove through Inverness the other day - don't think I have seen it before.

Water table 5 feet down! Hard to imagine up here in the deep, deep sand.

• bamboo_rabbit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Love the yard,

It is part of the Tsala Apopka chain of lakes and they go for miles.

PN,

We had a pool put in shortly after we bought the house and when they dug the hole they had to leave a pump in the excavation that ran 24/7 to control the water. The pool was 6 feet (in the deep end) so the water 5 feet down is about right.

• Truscifi
    12 years ago

Are poms self pollinating? I would love to have some, but I don't know how many I could fit in my yard if they need at least 7 feet each.

• bamboo_rabbit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes they are self pollinating. You can leave them as a shrub which is the natural form or prune them in to more of a tree shape. They also make an excellent hedge which is what I did with them.

• girlwithdragontattoo
    12 years ago

Your pomegranate trees look beautiful! Please post more pics when they start blooming/fruiting. I bought one the other day, it's about 4' tall, and the top leaves are reddened, I think maybe a new burst of growth? Not sure at all about seasons since it's my first Pom.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio