Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vegetable PH at 7

Posted by Crybrug Zone 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 21, 12 at 8:44

I just got the soil tested for the new vegetable garden and it was at ph7. We live in central FL with sandy and clay soil mix. Should I put in any additive to bring the soil to ph 5-6? Will adding fertilizer change the ph level?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vegetable PH at 7

Did you add anything to the soil before you had it tested? Is it close to a lot of concrete?

Clay? Have you looked on your county property appraiser map at soil levels to see what soil type is labeled for your property?

Sorry, I know .. lots of questions.

Fertilizer generally does not change PH. Lime will raise PH. Pine needles/bark and oak leaves will lower PH.

Actually, 7 is pretty neutral so I wouldn't worry about PH too much. What I would worry about is getting lots of organic material into your veggie bed to hold the nutrients the veggies will need.

~dianne

o
RE: Vegetable PH at 7

gardengimp Nothing was added to the soil before it was tested. The house is about 4 feet from where the soil was tested. So yes a lot of concrete. It looks like we are mostly clay with a fair sprinkle of sand. So should I just add the organic matter and let the soil go for the vegetables?

Thanks for the help

Here is a link that might be useful: area for the vegetable

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here