Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marcia_m

bromeliads and ID

marcia_m
10 years ago

I picked up some bromeliads at Tropiflora's sale over the weekend and these three from their sale tables had no tags. Can anyone help with an ID--even just whether or not they are Aechmeas? I have to decide where to plant them (or just tuck them in!)--sun, part sun, shade??? (I posted on the Bromeliads forum but thought I'd post here as well.) Thanks for any suggestions.
Marcia

{{gwi:457730}}

{{gwi:457731}}

{{gwi:457734}}

{{gwi:457735}}

{{gwi:457736}}

{{gwi:457737}}

Comments (11)

• marcia_m
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the thoughts, Karalynn.

After looking at many more photos online, I think plant #1 is some type of Billbergia bromeliad. I never realized how many bromeliads there are. And hybridizers have been very busy!
    Marcia

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

I think the second one could be candle stick. The thicker the leaf and the more spines it has the more sun it will take. Some like blanchetteanna will take full sun and are quite large. Some need at least dappled sun to get full color to the leaves. I have more then 50 planted in the ground. :o)

• Kasima
    10 years ago

The first and second are Bilbergia nutans or "Queen's Tears."

• marcia_m
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maybe you mean matchstick, not candlestick, Katkin :) I think that's what they probably are, too. I wish I could find some blanchetteanna. I didn't recognize any of those on the sale tables at Tropiflora.

Kasima, I think the first plant (first 2 photos) is a Billbergia but whether nutans or not, I don't know. There are so, so many different ones.

I really don't care (too much) what their names are. I'm more interested in making sure I put them where they will get the right amount of light.

Thanks for your comments.
    Marcia

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    10 years ago

Marcia - I won't even try to ID them for you. I have over 100 varieties in the ground and in trees and probably have correct names for 5 of them. There is a Bromeliad Forum here on GardenWeb, but there isn't much traffic on it. You could try posting the pictures there and hope someone stumbles across them.

As far as where to plant them ...

Filtered sunlight, minimal water will give you the best results. Remember that these bromeliads will bloom only once and then send out new pups to continue the cycle. Deadhead them when the bloom has turned brown and cut the old plants away as the new pups grow.

• marcia_m
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the help, Ricky. I did try the Brom forum, but as you said, pretty slow. I did have a couple of responses. Every little bit of info helps!

I planted two of them at the outer edge of a live oak and the third one under a pindo palm but I think it is getting too much sun there. I will probably have to move that one (the bromeliad in the last photo).
    Marcia

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

Yes Marcia, I did mean matchstick. I always get it confused. And I think the first one is Queen's tears too. I have been thining mine out, I've had them multiply so much.

• Kasima
    10 years ago

Marcia, all of those will need shade. The one with the teeth can take more sun than the others, but I wouldn't give it full sun.

• marcia_m
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Kasima. I need to check them for water since I put most of them under other plants and trees. I might need to move them around.
    Marcia

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

If you sprinkle some used coffee grinds in the cups it will keep the mosquitoes from laying eggs in the cup, since you should keep water in the cups always.