Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengimp

Yellowhorn Tree

gardengimp
13 years ago

Oh Mr Tree Nut Man?

What can you tell me about yellow horn tree?

I've got one that I really need to put in the ground as it's crazy tap root is in danger. I got it in a trade and potted it up not expecting much, but .... voila

I'm thinking of sticking it in an empty spot beside an azalea that will get morning sun.

~dianne

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellowhorn tree

Comments (11)

• loufloralcityz9
    13 years ago

Dianne,
    I never heard of it before now, sounds like a great little tree to grow. I just ordered 15 seeds as it seems the best way to start the tree seeing it hates to be transplanted. Thanks for making me aware of another nut tree I can grow here. I like the idea it will flower as early as 3 years after starting from seed.

Again, Thank You
    Lou

• tinael01
    13 years ago

Dianne you are queen of the very different! I want to tap your big green brain so I can bring some unusual plants back to my rare plant group and at the same time, satisfy a college requirement to do a public presentation and record it. These people like flowering plants mostly, but unusual veggies and nut trees would pique their interest I think! What do you think of that idea? Do you have the time to help me with that project?

Tina

• gardengimp
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmm, something new to Lou??? I'm in trouble now :)

Tina, this isn't due very soon is it? And sure, it sounds like fun ... and an excuse for more research and sleuthing.

And yeah, that tap root is crazy. I started it in a 3 oz dixie cup not really expecting much. Then it sprouted. When it was 1" tall I decided it was time to transplant it. As I couldn't figure out where to plant it, I decided to upsize the pot. When I pulled it out of the dixie cup, it's root was 5" long already. I figured then I had lost it; but no - put it in a 2 gallon pot and it kept right on growing. When I planted it out today, the tap root had reached the bottom of the pot.

~dianne

• tinael01
    13 years ago

we can take our time, definately. I was thinking that if we could come up with 5 - 10 crazy different plants, like the rat tailed radish and the gerkins you already sent to Nick, then I'll plant and have some little specimens to talk about and display. I could say where they come from and how they are used. The part I am missing is how to find those weird and different plants....and you just seem to already know what they are. Am I right? :) We could take suggestions too, though with this group who knows what they'll come up with!

• thonotorose
    13 years ago

I wanna go to the lecture!

• tinael01
    13 years ago

:) St. Pete Rare Plant Network meets on 4th Tuesday of month in a church off of Park Blvd. I can send details if anyone wants them.

This month we are having an auction and next month a plant sale.

• thonotorose
    13 years ago

So that would be the 26th? Tina, please do post address and details. I think I may just show up.

Lou, where did you get the seeds from? I searched and only came up with a plant.

Thanks,

Veronica

• tinael01
    13 years ago

Hi Veronica! That's wonderful! the address is 6045 Park Blvd in Pinellas Park. It is at the back of the church, Pinellas Park Church of Christ, in a seperate church building. Call me if you have a problem - I'll email you my number. It will be an auction that evening. Usually we have some food at 7 and a meeting at 7:30, but with the auction I am not sure. Bring a drink.

• loufloralcityz9
    13 years ago

Veronica,
    On eBay, I typed in Yellowhorn Tree and a few people selling the seeds showed up.
    Just make sure the word 'yellowhorn' is one word or else the seeds will not show up.

I chose the buy-it-now offer at the bottom last of the listings because they were only one cent more for 15 seeds $4.35 with shipping and I didn't have to wait for bidding.

Lou

• gator_rider2
    9 years ago

This good blog gives ideas about plant.
    Zone 4 t0 7 in this add.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Xanthoceras-sorbifolium-yellowhorn-shiny-leaf-goldenhorn-Flowering-Chestnut-/140695349698

Here is a link that might be useful: yellowhorn

This post was edited by gator_rider2 on Wed, Jan 28, 15 at 22:18

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

Looks an interesting plant, albeit, one which is likely to sucker and escape into the wild if given the chance.

For those of you working with seed-grown plants which transplant poorly, form taproots, etc. you may want to investigate techniques which cause air-root-pruning, mainly specialized pots with open bottoms, which if set on a mesh-topped bench, will cause the tap root to constantly lose its growing tip. This results in a fine and fibrous root system. This basic idea is the reason that many formerly-difficult-to source oaks and hickories can now be offered at nurseries. A very simple idea that really works well.

+oM

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting