Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crueltyfre

climbing roses??

crueltyfre
12 years ago

My yard has been so shady for so long (and the little sun beds I had beside the pool had to stay free for the pool guy to move around (now he uses the bridge)) that I've never grown roses.

My next door neighbors are moving and they gave me two very large metal trellis's. I put them in the backyard in that bare area I had stashed all my plants for the swap, running on the other side of the side walk across from the honeysuckle. I'm thinking of a climbing rose, but know nothing about them. Those who know my yard...would one grow there? any special variety? are they diva's and difficult? (with the dad situation no diva plants! just don't have the time/energy/desire to coddle things anymore).

I'm open to other ideas for these things if you have any...

Lori

Comments (11)

• imagardener2
    12 years ago

I don't know your yard but I have been growing roses for several years, most are heirloom own root types with a few David Austin rooted on Fortuniana. Shade is not a big problem in Florida, I've had better luck in shade than in sun.

I also grow a lot of climbers because space is short in my small yard so I go up as much as possible. Heirloom roses however grow up AND out lol.

Here are some you might consider that have done well for me:
    Climbing Pinkie-rarely out of bloom but no fragrance. My neighbor is always coveting it over any other rose in my yard.

Climbing Maman Cochet-forget the trellis this one needs something stronger like rebar. Big blossomed, frequent bloomer, beautiful shades of pink rose, fragrant, many petalled, exactly what an "old-fashioned" rose should look like. Negative: wicked thorns. Put her in a place she can't hurt you and let 'er go. Mine now has a central tree-like stem so she is self-supporting after 3 years due to pruning to that shape.

Zephirine Drouhin-Fragrant deep pink/carmine. Very much a favorite but she takes longer to take off. Mine is 3 years old and bushy but not yet bursting with blooms. The ones that come are treasured.

Celine Forestier-a cream yellow Noisette. Noisettes do very well in southern climates. She is fragrant and blooms several on a stem end at a time. Noisettes have smaller flowers than others but make up for it with multi-blooms. Healthy foliage.

Sorry I don't have time to find photos to post of mine but to see bloom photos go to the link below and do a search for the name and then click on the "Photo" tab. I'll get you started with Maman Cochet.

There is also a tab to click on where to buy heirloom roses and some are in central Florida.

Have fun. It's been a great year for roses in my garden.

Denise

website rose search address: http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/plants.php

Here is a link that might be useful: Maman Cochet, Cl. at helpmefind.com

• chellamaral
    12 years ago

I can't find the tab to find heirloom rooms. Please post the link. Thanks!

• imagardener2
    11 years ago

Helpmefind.com can take a little time to figure out.
    There is no specific listing for heirlooms but you can search by name of the rose.
    here is the search page for example:
    http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/plants.php

enter the name of the rose you want to see for example here is Maman Cochet,Climbing
    http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.4083

in the bar on the top right you can click on 'Buy from'
    http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.4083&tab=16
    this brings up sellers of that particular rose
    I see angelgardens.com in Florida has Cl. Maman Cochet

The link below is a nice rose nursery in Florida specializing in heirloom roses.
    I've bought many mailorder roses from them too. If I were close to Gainesville I'd love to visit and buy in person. I see they are having an 'Open' day on May 5.

Denise

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida heirloom rose nursery

• saldut
    11 years ago

Lori, there are loads of Antique Roses will do well in your yard, and I have bought some from Rose Petals Nursery and from Angel Gardens, both are excellent and the prices are good... another is Antique Rose Emporium in Texas... most China, and Antique Tea, Bermuda, and Noisettes are suited for our climate and do well own-root, if the soil is amended and rich, w/lots of Black Kow and Black Hen, and Milorganite and other composts worked in... I have abt. 150 roses now, mostly Antiques, and do not spray..they can get quite large, and I use rebar to hold them and fasten a decorative trellis on the front of the rebar, but they do need strong support.....sally

• evilengine
    11 years ago

I live near Tampa, and have had good luck with Don Juan climbing roses. They can tolerate sun, and don't need coddling (occasional milorganite, water every 3rd day). Don Juan's get huge, blinding red blooms and smell great. Home Depot carries them.

• thonotorose
    11 years ago

Lori,

Below are pics of my Cl Pinky. I cannot give this THORNLESS rose enough praise. It has only been in the ground for about 8 months and you can see how it shot up to the roof of our patio.

It is on Denise's rebar tripod. (Imagardener) That tripod cost 18.00 and took all of 20 minutes to erect.

• imagardener2
    11 years ago

Veronica

You rebar support is awesome as is the rose on it!
    Does your Cl. Pinkie have fragrance? On helpmefind it says it has fragrance but mine does not. If it did it would be AMAZING because a more blooming rose is hard to find.

My other terrific bloomer (hybrid but great anyway) is Martha's Vineyard. A bush with thorns but amazing pink blooms. It's opposite my front door and always looks impressive. Smaller blooms than Cl. Pinkie but masses of them at one time.

Denise

• thonotorose
    11 years ago

No, Denise, no scent, but so worth it anyway. You enabled me with your pics a while ago and now I'm writing Martha's Vineyard on my list.

Do you have Verdun? Amazing cluster of 40-50 roses. Very bright dark pink, but seems to blend well with the antiques.

• imagardener2
    11 years ago

Where can I get Verdun, anyone in Florida?

I really am trying to restrain myself getting new roses or I'll have to move to a bigger yard haha. Have 4 OGR's in large pots that had to be dug/re-located due to non-thriving. They love being in pots but we take a long summer vacation and everything has to be in the ground when we leave or it will likely die.

I got Marthas Vineyard at Crowley's near Myakka City east of Sarasota. You would love it for it's generous blooming.

Denise

• crueltyfre
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the info everyone, I've been looking at all the varieties and trying to decide which I want now. I'll keep you all posted...
    Lori

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Very interesting to hear that you've had such good luck with Martha's Vineyard. The few times I've seen it it's been mostly lots of thorny canes with only a few leaves and flowers (kind of what you'd expect from a rose growing in sandy beach soil, actually--I always thought that had something to do with the name).

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus