Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I just got my Certified Seed Potatoes...

Posted by gator1pdn 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 3, 11 at 11:05

...and they have absolutely NO "buds" or external growth on them. I put them in the dark in a shallow pan, under the kitchen sink, standing up on their end. After two days some of them are getting mushy, to the point I think they are rotting.

Must I wait till they have substantial external growth on them before I plant them out in the specially prepared box I have for them?

As you may be able to guess, this is my first time trying to grow potatoes. I've heard it was a challenge in South Florida...but I'll try anyway.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I just got my Certified Seed Potatoes...

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 3, 11 at 11:21

Paul

In my zone 9b I plant potatoes in the cooler months, by now they are all ready for harvest. Where did you get the potatoes? They should have a calendar for sending at the right time. What varieties did you get?

Silvia

o

Silvia,

Thanks for your response.

I got Yukon Gold from Irish Eyes. I realize that they should go in during the cooler months, but it was still mid-February when I ordered them. Took quite a while to get them.

I built a raised bed, or actually a segregated section of a larger bed, specifically for potatoes, and with other plants positioned to provide afternoon shade.

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 3, 11 at 12:50

Paul, Yukon Gold is an early and good variety for us. I have not grown them in the heat so I don't know the results. Sometimes the best and cheapest way to get certified potatoes is to get them from your local feed store. They don't have as many varieties but they are good for the area reds and yellows like Yukon.
To get them to sprout I usually leave them in a pantry closet where it is dry so they don't get mushy.
This week I am going to harvest all my potatoes, I will try to post a picture.
If you like sweet potatoes now is time to plant those, I just saw in Echo when I went a sweet potato variety that is not sweet and is a good substitute for regular potatoes, maybe you like that.
As an experiment, don't use too much of your space if you decide to go ahead and plant the Yukon. Next year try to sprout some organic and even better local potatoes to grow if you don't get them at the feed store.

Silvia

o

I've been growing arrowroot this year. I started a little article on it but have not updated it recently:
http://edenfarmproducts.com/index.php?page=fun&fun=1
I will update after I harvest.

At any rate, this was a really easy starchy tuber to grow. I might have 1 or 2 tubers to send you after I harvest (if rodents don't get them or anything).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here