Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thoughts on removing old Holly shrubs?

Posted by JenniferinFL 9B Florida (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 11:32

Some of the original landscaping around our house is still around, mostly some kind of holly. Maybe I'm in the minority here, BUT I really dislike holly. It's that spikey leaved holly, don't think it's the native one. It's whatever one was popular to plant in the early 80's. What really bugs me about it is that they've gone a bit sparse and grown above the roof of the sunroom. They also surround the sunroom in such a way where very little light enters which means I can't start plants in the sunroom as the light is only adequate in one small corner. I suppose I could lop them off a lot lower to the ground with the hopes of turning them back into shrubs, but it doesn't change the fact that I don't like them to begin with. It seems like only one of them sets berries. Not sure why that would be.

They have a fantastic sunny location where I would love to plant something for the butterflies, or maybe even be selfish and put in roses. Something that flowers anyways.

One thing holding me back is how to even get started removing what are almost small trees. The other thing holding me back is that these things are like 30 years old and still alive which is more than I can say for my attempts at planting things last year.

So, thoughts? Is there anything good about these Holly shrubs that benefits wildlife? Should I wait to see if anything I've planted survives before destroying landscaping that has survived? I'm just surprised there aren't even birds nests in these.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thoughts on removing old Holly shrubs?

• Posted by karalynn z9 FL, Inverness, Ci (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 15:26

A few years back my parents had to remove several mature burford holly bushes that had sunk their roots into their septic drain field. The bushes had large trunks and extensive root systems. In order to remove them Dad cut them down to a couple feet tall and dug a trench around each bush, cutting all the major roots that he could find. Then he wrapped ropes around the trunk and tied it to the trailor hitch on their van in order to pull each bush out of the ground.

I have seen where people have trimmed them up from the ground into small trees. If you can't get them out of the ground you could try going that route.

Kara

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here