Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Green Thumb Festival this weekend!

My favorite time of year - great deals to be had...

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Thumb Festival

Comments (8)

• foreverlad
    10 years ago

9 months ago I first heard about the GTF from a vendor at USF's tropical sale. I've been anxious for this day to come, and now I'm kinda thinking I won't be going.

Really really want to, but money's tight at the moment and I'm afraid If I show up, I'll spend a fortune.

Might have to though. Crystal ball is cloudy. Checking my magic 8 ball shortly.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Forever, you should go and see it. Maybe only take with you what you can afford to spend and leave the rest of your money/credit cards at home? I think you should go if you can - the weather is going to be beautiful and there are going to be so many cool things! If I lived closer, I would definitely be there (early)!

Carol

• foreverlad
    10 years ago

It's tough to ignore. I'll be 10 miles away doing a quick job at Indian Rocks Beach, and that'll be finished by 8am, at the latest.

If i do go, I really need to figure out the parking. I've heard some horror stories about parking and long lines getting in.

Mike

• whgille
    10 years ago

Carol

We were at the festival today, good prices! it was nice and shaded.:)

Silvia

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Glad you enjoyed, Silvia! Buy anything? Even tho we were slammed @ the kids' crafts tent, I managed to get away for a few moments & spent all of 12 dollars; got an elderberry & a chickasaw plum from the tree sale & 3 pink vincas for my mom from the 'other' PTEC booth - the 1 that teaches horticulture to inmates. Also got bags of free log mulch as I was leaving

• whgille
    10 years ago

Yes Carol, I bought a peach tree to replace a nectarine that didn't make it in my garden, $25 for a peach that size was a bargain! They had a lot of interesting plants and garden things, if I knew which booth you were in, I would of say hello.

Silvia

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Mike, inquiring minds want to know if you went.... and what you bought....???! :)

Carol in Jax

• foreverlad
    10 years ago

Hahahaha.

Sorry, just now catching up on threads from the weekend. I did stop by Saturday morning, just after 9am. I visited a few of the vendors I know (one of them asked my why I didn't bring 'em McDonalds for breakfast) and checked out most of the offerings. I also visited the indoors plant/display competition and noticed back outside that just about everyone walking around seemed to have Purple Majesty Millet.

There was definitely a nice selection, but I only picked up a coleus I didn't have from the Boy Scouts tent. One of the vendors was selling a curious Colocasia (I think they had it labelled as Watersports, or something), and I did see few other interesting flowering plants and the like, but ultimately I went home (nearly) empty-handed.

Funny thing, shortly before I got home, I stopped at the nearby Ace Hardware store, just to browse their garden center. While there, I ran into a woman who was going to be doing a demonstration on mixed plantings on Sunday.

I probably should have waited till Sunday to go. I'd have loved to meet some of you folks, but I'm also a bit of a misanthrope, so I get a little annoyed when I'm stuck standing in the middle of a tidal wave of (non) passers-by. lol

Kind of glad I held off on purchasing anything else. I've got so much work to do in this yard, I'm slightly relieved not to have another X amount of plants wilting for attention!