Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Caladiums are up!

Posted by love_the_yard z9A Jax FL (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 12:38

Yay! All of my caladiums have 3-4 inches of spears poking up through the soil. The white ones are completely up and leafed out - have been, for about a week. The pinks and reds are following. I assume everyone in central and south Florida have had your caladiums for awhile?

Carol in Jacksonville

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Caladiums are up!

Yeah I will have to go out and check mine. I have some planted in the front border of a front flowerbed. I put them in last year. I was hoping they might come back lol.

o

That's great! I have one that's coming through the mulch also...Now if only my Hostas come back...I planted it 2 years ago and it came up last year but I can't remember when April or May?

If not, I will have to buy a couple more...Lowe's is suppose to get some in the end of the week...

o

Mine spent the winter in the greenhouse and I lost about 10 pots of them - 4 pots have leaves emerging.

o

Hi Kay,

Were the bulbs lifted or were they in soil in pots? If in pots, were they being watered or were they kept dry? If in soil and kept dry (so rot is not suspected), soil is a pretty good insulator. I wouldn't be sure they were dead yet. Just because the leaves disappeared doesn't mean they are dead. They do go dormant, even in a greenhouse.

I would take the pots outside in full sun and water them good for the first time. Give it a week or two and I bet you see leaves come up. I haven't lost any in pots, even the pots that were left outside and I think we were as cold as you (except for the snow and ice).

Carol

o

• Posted by karalynn z9 FL, Inverness, Ci (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 17:05

Some of mine have started coming up but not all of them.

o

Not here, cold mornings, rainy winter........I hope......

o

Have some that came up, especially white ones. For some reason, I thought they usually came up later.

o

Hmmm I don't see any signs of mine yet. I thought at first that I had found some but they turned out to be the 'wild' white and red hurricane lilies that I had dug up from around the property and transferred to my flower bed near where I had the caladiums.
~SJN

o

• Posted by kinzyjr Lakeland, FL 9a (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 18:36

Mine are all up. All of them are red.

o

Carol, they were watered a couple of times while in the greenhouse. A week or so ago, I took all the pots out and emptied them onto a tarp. Several were o.k. and some were rotted. I saved the soil and used it in other pots as filler, so all was not lost.

o

Well I noticed one of Hostas finally broke through the mulch...but I'm SO mad!! Deer ate most of the leaves on the one I just planted and took a bite off the small one that just broke through...they also ate half the leaves of my Caladium and ALL the blooms on my Roses...ARGGG!!

They also hit a few of my neighbors yard...**sigh**

o

I dug up where the caladiums were and accidently cut one in half that was the size of my fist so they are still there. I put rooting hormone with a fungicide on both sides of the cut one and replanted it so hopefully it won't rot. The bulbs are putting up little sprouts just hadn't broken through the surface of the ground. Odd that they are being so slow.
~sjn

o

Finally and gingers....90's will do it....plus 3 or more inches of rain last two days.......

o

Still no sign of my caladiums or hostas :(

Also, we have not received one drop of rain! Everywhere around us had had storms every day this week. Thoughts and prayers going out to those living through this week's nasty weather.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here