Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

I was looking back at my receipts from my purchases of Upright Elephant Ears (Alocasia odora). I wasn't charged Florida state sales tax. I thought nuh-uh, no way, that can't be right. I started to smile... since they are Taro, I guess they are considered "food"! (Food sales are exempt from Florida state sales tax.) Too funny that Lowes actually has it set up as a tax-exempt item in their system.

Carol in Jax

Comments (8)

• foreverlad
    10 years ago

Wow, that's awesome. Maybe next time I'm shopping for a palm tree, I'll wait till back-to-school tax relief week and tell Lowes I plan on wearing the palm fronds as a grass skirt for a hula class... or something.

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    10 years ago

Just tell them the palms are required for your Biology class... or something.

• thetradition
    10 years ago

just fruit and exotics nursery in Crawfordsville Florida charges sales tax for fruit trees. that's my only annoyance with them as they are otherwise excellent nursery.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It happened again. I purchased a small gardenia at Home Depot during the 3 for $10 sale this weekend. No sales tax collected - total sale was $3.33. Am I supposed to eat the gardenia, LOL?!

Carol

• thetradition
    10 years ago

Yes, gardenia is a food-producing plant.

In China the native specimen's hard woody fruit is a delicacy. The gardenia bud has a sweet and light flavor that is a garnish for many meals. These flowers are used in rural areas to make teas, ice cream, sugars, fruit snacks, desserts and syrups. They are also additives to salads, rice and oat dishes, according to Margaret Roberts, the author of "Edible and Medicinal Flowers."

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.gardenguides.com/123826-functions-gardenia-plant.html

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

Yep. Eat the Weeds has a long list of common landscape flowers that are actually edible:

Here is a link that might be useful: Edible cultivated flowers

• whgille
    10 years ago

Carol, good for you!

The Tradition, that is interesting about the gardenia being edible.

Writersblock, that is a long list! good to know, at least I can use them for decoration since they are edible.

Silvia

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Silvia, LOL! Please post a recipe and a photo when you make it, as I know you will. :)

Tradition and Writers, thanks for the info and links! I learn something new every single day. :)

Carol