Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joeblfsk

ok fruit flies,...bring it on !!!!

It was just 2 days ago that I noticed them,.. buzzing around my small plastic bin I have in kitchen for food scraps, later to be dumped in the big compost bin outside.
i knew the fruit flies show up in April hereabouts, but was still taken aback,..thought I'd have another week or so. But no, they've decided to attack early. Well I am ready for them, they are walking into an ambush I set up yesterday and this morning.
The traps are set, two per tree,..they will be dealt with quickly this year.
The accompanying photo is of my 18 ft tall, 4 yr old ( in grnd 4 yrs but came in a 30 gal pot ), Valencia Pride mango tree, - taken about 4 ft away. Can you make out the two traps,..glass jars hanging down with apple cider vinegar in them ? Need to look hard !

This post was edited by jofus on Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 9:47

Comments (17)

• jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a )
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A closer view of same tree, the 2 jars should be easier to see.
    Funny, but when I set out my 1st jar yesterday on the Glenn tree,..took a minute or two to get metal cap screwed back on, but when it was all in place, lo and behold I see the 1st fruit fly inside,..greedy bugger ! I ignored his pleas for help ! ( evil smile )
    I hope all you other mango tree farmers are ready for these guys. I expect a more aggressive invasion this year. Good luck to all !

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

This is such a good tip, I used it all year on my papaya tree. Now I'll do it for the mango as well. Thanks for letting us know about it. Guess I wouldn't have thought about the mango.

• morningloree
    10 years ago

Sounds like I should get my jars ready. My Nom Doc Mai is looking like I might get some fruit.

Original Author
    10 years ago

katkin & morningloree : Yes, I really don't think it's too early to take precutions. In just two days all six of the jars I hung out have at least 20 - 30 dead flies in each. The worst time of course will begin in late June when these guys start looking for soft places to bury their larvae. So my thinking is the more I eradicate now will mean less I have to deal with then. The late season trees are the ones most vulnerable, like my Kent and the Valencia Pride. My Glen should be OK as it's an early mango and will be picked clean by late June. The Nam Doc Mai is an early season tree as well, but I'd put out the jars anyway just to be sure. Nothing as depressing as seeing an entire trees' fruit ruined at the last minute after all the TLC you've expended. Hope you both have a large and healthy mango crop.

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

I got two jars set up in my mango yesterday since it is such a big tree. I think it's a Haden and it will have a good crop this year. I grew a champagne mango tree from seed and it is doing pretty good. It is now taller then me. I wonder how long before I get fruit from it.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, if it's a large tree, over 8 or so ft tall, I would hang 2 jars. But if it's a small or medium size tree,..like maybe morningloree's Nam Doc Mai is, - it may only need one jar.
    Have no clue about growing a mango tree from seed,...morningloree, you are the bomb ! Admire your energy, savvy, and patience ! If it's taller than you I would imagine it won't be long before those flowering pannicles start showing up. Good luck !

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Jofus, it was me Katkin that grew the mango from seed. :o) I just did it on a lark to see if it could be done. Years ago I did a avocado tree that way too and had the best fruit ever. I don't have it any more and sure miss it. I was told it wouldn't fruit.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Great tip Jofus!! I'm very fortunate I do not have those fruit flies to deal with here...but I do have squirrels, raccoons,possums, deer, birds, and 2 legged thieves,lol...so I do have my share of problems as well.

Katkin, champagne mango I believe is a polyembryonic seed which means it should fruit like its parent...you don't want to plant the Monoembryonic (those rarely produce good fruit). You should have fruit in appx. 5 years...some know to produce a little sooner and others a little later...please keep us posted when it fruits and let us know how it taste...Good luck!!

Quote from UF edis... Link below

" Seed
    Polyembryonic mango varieties generally come true from seed, and this is a common method of propagation in many parts of the tropics. Monoembryonic varieties do not come true from seed and must be propagated vegetatively in order to obtain the same variety."

Here is a link that might be useful: UF... IFAS

Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry katkin,..you are the bomb for sure ! Sometimes I get to feelin' like I am " an authority ", and then I meet someone who is growing a mango tree I've never even heard of, - and from seed yet !!
    Are Champagne mangos good tasting ?

This post was edited by jofus on Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 9:36

Original Author
    10 years ago

hi puglvr1,..thanks for the info. So what do you think about Champagne mango's, ever try one ?

This post was edited by jofus on Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 9:37

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info, Puglvr. It was the best tasting mango I ever had. Small and yellow and no fiber. That is the common name, it is an ataulfo mango. I don't know how hard they are to grow, the big tree I have is a Haden and I haven't done a thing to it but water and fertilizer. So I am spoiled, but I figured I had nothing to loose by planting the pit. I'd say it is about two years old now.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Hi Jofus, Yup, I've had many champagne mangoes, actually champagne mangoes come in a few different names (as I understand it they are the same mango) check out the link below for more info...the other names I've purchased them have been called "ataulfo", "champagne" and "manila" and "honey mango". They usually sell them at Publix, Aldi and various local grocery stores..,I've seen them at my local fruit stands as well...most of them I believe are grown in Mexico...

here's a close up of one I purchased a couple of years ago...so you can see what they look like if you want to try a couple. Like any mango purchased at the stores, some are excellent and some are just so so...depending on when they picked them and how long it sat at the warehouse,lol...some are excellent and others lack in flavor but IMHO this is not the mangoes fault but the farmers pick them too soon before they are ready :o(

Here is a link that might be useful: Champagne Mango...

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Puglvr1, Thanks for the info & photo. Will keep my eyes open for a champagne mango next time I am in Publix. Thats the only way for me to go from now on,..can't plant another tree, afraid one of my neighbors might shoot me if they see me digging another hole ! ( smile )
    Have 7 mango trees now, that's really all I want to deal with. Still waiting for the 4 new ones to mature, ( including the Maha Chanook and Pickering ),..am psyched !

This post was edited by jofus on Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 10:36

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

You're welcome Jofus...hope you'll be able to taste a couple of them this year, they really are very good! Sweet and fiberless.

BTW, thought I would share a picture of my Maha...it actually has teeny tiny fruitlets...though I truly doubt it will mature since the tree is very young, but I can always hope,lol...

Maha Chanok fruitlets...

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Jofus, did your Pickering or Maha bloom this year?

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Puglvr1 : No, my Pickering did not fruit this year,..it's truly a baby, only planted two months ago. It did have some early flowering pannicles while still in it's pot but they didn't hold up.
    My Maha Chanook however, did bloom, has one mango the size of a healthy olive and on another branch a flowering pannicle with a cluster of 25 or so er,.. tiny fruits to be technically correct. That tree has been in the ground now a little over a year,..but still a baby in my book. Won't post any photos, not after looking at your Maha !!! ( smile ) Maybe next year as both trees are healthy looking.
    The trees I am enthusiastic about are the three big guys,..the Kent, Glenn and the Valencia Pride,..all in the ground now 4 years, ( were all 6 1/2 footers when planted ). The VP has really taken off this season, am expecting a nice haul in July and now realize that it is quickly turning into a nice shade tree as well.
    How many trees do you have ( in the ground ) ?

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

I'm sure your Pickering will fruit next year!! Since you've only had it for a couple of months its definitely best that it didn't flower and hold fruit...I agree way too young.

Your Glenn, VP and Kent I'm sure will give you plenty of mangoes to satisfy your cravings and next year you'll have even more :o)

As far as my Maha, who knows...these little fruitlets may not make it at all. Trees in pots are a lot more sensitive than ones planted inground. If I get just one to try I'll be a happy camper,lol...