Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hedge or vine to hide chain link fence???

Posted by pinkgator 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 13:03

We have a 3-4 ft high chain link fence on our side yard, facing the front of the house (we are in two lots, so we have about 20-25 ft of side yard). I want either a hedge or a vine to hide the chain link. The area is in full sun pretty much all day long.

What would be fastest to grow? Easiest maintenance? Anything that would flower?

Azalea?
Jasmine?
Plain green hedge?

I saw a beautiful periwinkle colored flowering, kind of stalky bush type thing in front of a fence in St Pete a few weeks ago. Any idea what that would've been?

I also thought about blueberry bushes... Any thoughts on that?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hedge or vine to hide chain link fence???

How about honeysuckle? It flowers, attracts hummers/butterflies, is evergreen and most importantly, hardy.
Lori

o

Meems who writes the Hoe and Shovel blog has used the highly aromatic Confederate Jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides)to cover a chain link fence. The vine is gorgeous and it is the subject of her current blog. Please see link below.

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoe and Shovel Blog - The Scent of Jasmine

o

Confederate Jasmine works really well on the chain-links. Coral Honeysuckle is great, it's a native, but a little hard to find, especially at the big-box stores. Was the periwinkle colored one a vine or a bush?? If it was a bush it was probably Plumbago. I have seen that trained on a trellis, so I suppose you could do the same thing on a fence. Blueberries have to be grown in pure ground pine mulch, and you can kill them with the wrong type of fertilizer, I wouldn't go there.

o
See how it was planted

If you look back at this old post in Hoe and Shovel from February 2008, you can see where/how the confederate jasmine is planted next to the fence. Click on any photo to see a larger version. Give it a few seconds after you click - for some reason, the photos take awhile to kick in (display).

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Confederate Jasmine plants on chain link fence

o

I have confederate jasmine on my back fence and while I obviously like it, I wouldn't recommend it for one reason...when you trim it, and it will need trimming or it runs along the ground and comes up other places, it has a white sap that gums up and dulls your tools, and gets on you and your clothes that is very hard to get off.
Lori

o

Thanks for the heads up on the mess, Lori. I will use the junky tools and clothes when I whack at it, which may be in a while since my plants are about 4 inches tall right now. :-)

I want to know how bad the bees get around it. I have a big yard but don't want to put it where there might be lots of bees around the gate or kids' play areas, and I have read not to plant it near a door due to bees.

Thanks,
Gina

btw is there a way to set up my profile so I can get emails to track responses to which threads I posted questions on?

I have a bunch of starters

o
RE2: Hedge or vine to hide chain link fence???

ok i see i can clip my posts to keep track,
thx

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here