Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Project finally done!

Posted by karalynn z9 FL, Inverness, Ci (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 13:06

At least done enough to share pictures of it! I've been working on putting a strip of concrete in front of the rocks that edge the front flower bed for a while now and this weekend with the help of my parents and brother it's almost complete. The only part left to do is the section that goes back towards the house. I pulled up the grass and dug the trench for the concrete and then got the other to help me mix and pour the concrete into the trench. Since we used my parents old electric conctrete mixer the digging is the part that took the longest. Of coarse having my kitten, Tavi, out with me while I was digging may have slowed me down some! She looked so cute playing in the garden and dirt while on her leash that I had staked near me!

So far I've used at least 24 50lb bags of concrete. It should only take about 5 more bags of concrete to finish the last section. This should make mowing and edging along the front flower bed much easier!

Kara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Project finally done!

That's quite a project, borders do indeed make lawn maintenance easier.

But I want to see a picture of Tavi!

o

If I may... (No! You may not! [Tough! I'm doing it anyways!]) when I first looked at this and saw the rough edge, it raised my eyebrows a bit... but that's because normally when you see people add a concrete border like this, it's done by professional landscapers who use those form machines to lay the border. But the more I look at it, the more I like it. As weird as it sounds, the rough edge makes the concrete look 'natural' which works out quite well with the rocks behind it. Being a person who prefers natural over 'manicured', I now find myself berating myself for my initial reaction. I don't know if I will ever do a concrete border, but if I do, I'm very much going to go this route... it kind of looks like a stream meandering around your boulders like this... good job.

o

• Posted by karalynn z9 FL, Inverness, Ci (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 17:30

The concrete has a rough edge because I didn't use any forms, just dug the shape I wanted into the dirt and then poured in the concrete. Some areas ended up being wider then others but oh well. As the grass grows it will hide the edge. I started out pressing leaves into the concrete to dress it up some but rather quickly gave up on that. My mom and 8 year old nephew did press their hands into the concrete and add their names and the year. I much prefer the natural over the manicured look too!

Here's Tavi passed out on the back of the couch after her hard day of play! She so loves going outside on her leash!

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 17:48

Kara, god job! You are probably happy that is completed and with the help. Tavi looks cute and relaxed.:)

Silvia

o

I love the rough edge. I agree it makes it look like a little stream. So pretty!

o

She's beautiful. I agree - it looks like a stream! :-)

o

I think it's awesome! Definitely more attractive than rocks full of grass. I've already referred someone to your pic, ironically, their bed was the same shape. Wild!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here