Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you know your mangos are ready to pick?

Posted by trinigemini 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 29, 09 at 13:21

Maybe not the best way...but definitely one of the cutest :-)

Tootsie eyes Mango.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Checking to make sure it ripe :-)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

That ones not ready yet...but seriously how do you know when to pick them off the tree....something is already attacking them and every morning we find eaten ones on the ground.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you know your mangos are ready to pick?

Option 1 - Get rid of whatever is eating the mango then allow them to ripen until they fall off the tree. Option 2 - You can also grab the mango and give it a little squeeze - if it is a bit soft then you can pick it. The ones that ripen 100% on the tree may taste better - Anyway my thoughts - I could be wrong. I still think you should go with option 1.

o

When they start to fall from the tree, they are ready. Like Jay said, you can pick them just before that, but a clear indication that the fruit is ripe is that they start falling on their own. You probably have rats or squirrels eating the fruit. Try spraying it with soapy water mixed with cayenne pepper.

o

Trini,

I attached a video Blog on Mangoes...if you scroll down to the "Mango Video Blog" dated June 2007 there's a short video explaining when the fruit is ripe and ready for picking. HTH

BTW, years ago, I have picked Mangos when they start to show some color or blush and let it ripen in the pantry or counter top. I wrap mine in newspaper and check them every other day till they soften and start giving out some wonderful smells...I've noticed that green mangoes have no scent, but ripe ones definitely do! Also, there is a sap that comes off when you pick a green/unripe mango...this is usually not present when the mango is ripe. I know there are people that are highly allergic to this sap or the green peels. There is always a chance of picking it too soon, and will not ripen properly or rot...but you will get the hang of it with more practice.

What variety is it? Nice Mango and Adorable Dog!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mango Video

o

Thanks everyone...puglvr we have no idea what variety it is...it was here when DH moved into the house and this is the first year he has tried any. I checked out a bunch of the videos too....I still can't tell what kind of tree I have....only know its not Julie :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here