Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karalynn_gw

Tavi & the snake

KaraLynn
11 years ago

I think I accidently created a bit of a issue when it comes to Tavi the kitten and snakes and lizards. When I first brought Tavi home I let her have all of the toys that were left over from when Koneko, my 7 year old cat, was a kitten. Among those toys were several plastic lizards and a 6" long stuffed snake with a wire it so you can bend it into different shapes. So far Tavi has chewed the feet off most of the lizards and will spend hours carrying the snake around, tossing it into the air so she can chase it, and chewing on it. That snake really is one of her favorite toys, I've even caught her sleeping with it, kinda like a kid with their favorite blanket.

Well, this may have contributed to Tavi's rather over excited reaction when she saw a real live snake for the first time. I was taking her for a walk in the back yard with her in her harness and leash. She was just playing in the grass so I bent down to pull a few weeds out of the lawn when all of a sudden I feel a jerk on the leash. I looked up just in time to see Tavi flip up into the air and fall back down to the ground after she hit the end of the leash at a full run! She then proceded to leap about wildly at the end of the leash will staring straight ahead! Looking to see what had her so excited I spotted a good sized black racer snake poking it's head out of the grass about ten feet in front of Tavi. Apparently the snake had been making it's way innocently across the lawn when Tavi spotted it and decided she really needed to play with the living, moving version of her favorite toy! The snake just calmly watched Tavi bounce around for a minute or so before casually heading off into the neighbors yard without a care in the world. It wasn't until after the snake was out of sight that Tavi would calm down.

I really wish I'd had my camera with me because that was simply hilarious!

Kara

Comments (6)

• thetradition
    11 years ago

a cat would never catch a black racer. they are amazingly fast. the snake was probably totally amused by Tavi's antics at the end of the leash.

• KaraLynn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That was my impression too! Although I did have a cat years ago that was quite skilled at catching black racers although she never hurt them. She'd always bring them home alive and uninjured to present to my mom who really doesn't like snakes! She also brought home ring necks, garters, and on one memerorable, thankfully cold, december day she showed up with a live coral snake.

• cocoabeachlorax
    11 years ago

Tavi sounds adorable.

I had a black racer nose to nose with ME last week. It wouldn't leave, and I needed to be where it was.

Unlike Tavi I was not amused. I shrieked so loud when he rared up and shot like a bullet straight towards me, then made a fast 90 degree turn under my fence.

Now I know what kind of sound I would make when absolutely terrified. I've often wondered how actresses decide on their "scream" for movies. Now I've got mine.

Thank goodness he turned ! Not sure what he would have done with me what with that teensy tiny little mouth, don't want to know either.

• inulover (9A Inverness, Florida)
    11 years ago

I doubt that the toy had much to do with it. Cats are programmed to go after such things. I have had a cat for most of my life and they all have enjoyed snakes. Our current feline is confined to the house and screened pool area, but the dogs have filled in on the vermin removal task. I'm sure the snake could out run the cat/dog in a straight line race, but they tend to do stupid things, like stop and play dead... not much brain matter in those little heads.

Here's 3 of the exterminators watching the geckos on the porch

• zzackey
    11 years ago

I'm having a great laugh from this post. Actually more than one. I don't mind black racers. They might bite you, but I doubt it. They usually want to race the other way fast. I don't know why that one didn't do that too. I had cats growing up that would bring us live garter snakes and deposit them at the front steps. No harm done. My cat now is an indoor cat. He goes crazy sometimes at night running from one window to another to follow whatever is outside.

• KaraLynn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Inulover, that is a cute picture of you three hunters! My parents australian terrier is also a big hunter who will go after any squirells, rats, moles, and snakes that get into their fenced in back yard. They are happy she goes after the rodents but would prefer she left the snakes alone.

Zack, My cats stay indoors unless I'm out in the garden with them. My older cat, Koneko, is allowed to roam around the yard one her own but Tavi stays on her lead in whatever area of the garden I'm in. That doesn't stop the two of them from going hunting out in the garage which is where thei litter box is located. It's not that unusual for me to come home to find a dead lizard lying on the living room rug that Koneko has brought in from the garage.

It all depends on the cat's personality whether or not they become hunters. I've had cats that were terrific hunters and then others who haven't had any interest at all in chasing a critter even when in passes right in front of them!