Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ibarbidahl

What are you all harvesting now?

ibarbidahl
10 years ago

With this March's CRAZY weather my garden rotation is in a weird mix right now. I'm still harvesting snap peas, shelling peas, cauliflower, lettuce, carrots, radish, blueberries, peaches, strawberries - but I'm also harvesting jalepenos, a single tomato plant that overwintered (but is tired) the new plants are blooming now, too. Mulberries by the truckload it seems, but the things that are usually doing well by now are just getting started again. Corn, okra, beans, bell peppers, the grapes are leafing out now. Even my potatoes that have only been in the ground for 30 days (the originals froze back) are blooming already!

It just seems like the season got a really strange start and I'm worried that the harvest will be affected. Am I the only one?

Comments (7)

• whgille
    10 years ago

Barbie, I agree with you, this has been a crazy weather, some of my fruit trees are still dormant and others are producing a lot like the bananas, I am harvesting some cherry tomatoes, some peppers, squash, all different cabbages, kale, collards, lettuce, tomatillos, pigeon peas, radishes. Half of the potatoes are harvested and I left the other half for this week, mine didn't get flowers, Larry asked me about that yesterday.

I made zucchini papardelle yesterday for dinner, using 4 pounds of squash and the yellow frozen tomato sauce from the garden

Silvia

• nessz79_10a
    10 years ago

I don't have a big plot, but harvesting carrots and lettuce. It looks like a couple more weeks and I'll be harvesting my first potatoes, too!

Everglades currant goes without saying, as it just continuously produces throughout the year (thanks, Tom!).

• Truscifi
    10 years ago

Pigeon peas that overwintered, Hungarian wax peppers, and a few snow peas that are hanging on. Oh, and herbs. Lots of herbs, lol! Parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, dill, and basil.

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

I've got snow peas still coming, tomatoes, peppers. All my herbs are still producing, but I see the cilantro going to seed now.

• L_in_FL
    10 years ago

Cilantro, but not for much longer. I planted my peas (Wando) a little late and they are in full bloom and just sizing up the first peas now. Hope I get some good harvests before the heat takes them out.

Got some carrots getting close - those will be the last ones until fall. A few radishes and a little lettuce are left, also. Plus green onions and some other herbs. I am about to yank the mustard (need the room). I may leave the collards in a bit longer.

It's going to be a while yet on the summer crops, unfortunately.

• shuffles_gw
    10 years ago

Pole beans are cranking; potatoes are ready to dig; onions also; a few tomatoes still coming (Park's Whopper planted in October);rat tail radishes are still producing; likewise Swiss Chard; three days of 90 or so degrees have destroyed what had been beautiful spinach - bummer! Ichiban eggplant is enjoying the warm weather; Callaloo is coming up all over the place! Allso plantain. I understand some people eat it! To me it is the weed that everyone had in their lawns up north. Callaloo tastes much better. Did I mention pole beans?

• thetradition
    10 years ago

Carrots, strawberries and broccoli (only side shoots are left). Cilantro bolted, so I'm waiting for corriander. There are a few blueberries that should be ready soon.... Same thing with tropic snow peaches. Pole beans are slow to get going for some reason. Corn keeps getting attacked by critters. Tomato plants look amazing, but no ripe fruit yet. Onions are close with many big bulbs, but not done yet.

This post was edited by TheTradition on Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 20:21

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner